Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

http://www.engadget..../the-sony-psp2/

Powerful as hell, a pretty damn big OLED touchscreen, dual analogue sticks, a relatively pleasant design, sixaxis motion sensing (which will hopefully work this time), a fucking REAR multi-touch trackpad,... jesus christ, this thing is a beast. It'll probably be expensive as fuck, it's pretty damn big, and the battery will have to be a monster to run it, but damn.

They apparently demoed an Uncharted game which utilised both of the control sticks, the touchscreen, the sixaxis motion sensing AND the rear trackpad. It's insane. I doubt the graphical quality will be quite at PS3 level, but I wouldn't be surprised if some games come close.

Nintendo had better watch out, cause this thing absolutely rapes the 3DS.

Gallery

#2 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

Good for Sony. Nintendo has dominated handheld systems long enough - dominated everything, in fact, if you look at sales charts, the wii is (shockingly) #1 worldwide in sales. So although those numbers account for smaller amounts of income thanks to the wii's smaller price tag, Nintendo is definitely not hurting - and though i disapprove of some of Sony's decisions with the PS3, I do thinkt he psx and ps2 were great candidates for the best console thus far in history - nintendo's mistake is making the assumption that handheld gaming will always be at a lower graphical performance than console gaming. If sony can revolutionize that a little bit, then i say thank goodness SOMEBODY tried it.

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#3 Nitro

Nitro
    Uber
  • overmind

• Uber
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:41 AM

Is the battery life better than the 3DS's like, five seconds of power?

#4 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

Apparently the dev kits are lasting around 5 hours.

#5 Nitro

Nitro
    Uber
  • overmind

• Uber
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

Apparently the dev kits are lasting around 5 hours.

Thats all right, I guess.

Six-axis

Fucking hell

#6 Major

Major
    Veteran
  • Advanced Member

• Veterans
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:10 AM

Any news on backwards compatibility? Or release date?

Cause yeah, do want.
Yosh's signature got me hooked =_=
http://sir-zairon.mybrute.com

Posted Image

Kel: Fire Emblem D20
Posted Image

#7 DarkNight

DarkNight
    Veteran
  • Nothing is free, only permitted.

• Veterans
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

and so the scorned (Sony) forever attempt to usurp the monster that is Nintendo. round 3!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Duce

Duce
  • Still hungry.

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

I see a repeat of the first PSP v. DS war occurring. PSP was graphically superior, but an inflated price tag and its limited demographic games crashed it before it got off the ground.

This time, I think the PSP2 is going fail even harder. From the screenshots and information up, it looks like they are trying to market it as a game and multi-media device. In terms of online video, browsers, etc., Apple and their iDevices already have that market covered. So unless people decide to trade in their iPhones and iTouches for this thing, it's gonna be down to the games to decide if this or the 3DS will sell better. In other words, what's more marketable: Uncharted or Pokemon?

I'm not saying it doesn't look like a glorious machine, because it does. I just don't think Sony is ever gonna find a real winner in the handheld market.
Searching for ADVENTURE.

#9 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

and its limited demographic games crashed it before it got off the ground.

Nobody limits their demographic nowadays like Nintendo.

Other than that, largely agree. If Sony can reduce the price to make it at least comparable to the 3DS, they'd have a winner. But we know that won;t happen. You can stick an outrageous price tag on a phone with many of the same features as a modern handheld game console, and still sell very well... but if the main feature of a product is its use as a handheld game console, you just can't. Even if it can be used as a phone. Somebody go back in time and warn Nokia.

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#10 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

Because the PSP totally failed right? 65 million units sold at basically double the price of the DS?

#11 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:14 AM

Five Hundred and Ninety Nine U.S. Dollars.

Remember that?

edit:
yeah this http://fivehundredan...nine.ytmnd.com/
Posted Image

#12 Major

Major
    Veteran
  • Advanced Member

• Veterans
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:58 AM

And yet it still was always sold out. The price of a blue ray player when it came out was more than $599. It was a great deal and even still its selling so....

Sides that PS3 not PSP, but whatever
Yosh's signature got me hooked =_=
http://sir-zairon.mybrute.com

Posted Image

Kel: Fire Emblem D20
Posted Image

#13 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

Mhm, despite all of the doom and gloom predicted, it has almost caught up to the 360 in worldwide sales despite being released over a year later.

With a launch price of $250 and an extremely limited set of launch titles, I can't see the 3DS selling too many copies for a while (could be wrong), so as long as the NGP/PSP2 is competitively priced (rumoured to be at around $299) and releases sometime this year, there might not be too great a rift between the two.

Either way, a hell of a lot of developers are already on board and planning/developing games for it, so who gives a fuck if it isn't as successful as the 3DS.

And by hell of a lot, I mean basically any third party developer you can think of:

Japan:
Acquire Corp.
Alvion Inc.
AQ Interactive Inc.
Arc System Works Co. Ltd.
Arika Co. Ltd.
Artdink Corporation
Ascii Media Works Inc.
Capcom Co. Ltd.
Chun Soft Co. Letd.
Codemasters Software Company Limited
Crafts & Meister Co. Ltd.
CyberConnect2 Co. Ltd
D3 Publisher Inc.
Dimps Corporation
Edia Co. Ltd.
Enterbrain Inc.
From Software Inc.
Gameloft K.K.
Genki Co. Ltd.
Grasshopper Manufacture Inc.
GungHo Online Entertainment Inc.
Gust Co. Ltd.
Hamster Corporation
Hudson Soft Co. Ltd.
Idea Factory Co. Ltd.
Index Corporation (Atlus)
Irem Software Engineering Inc.
Kadokawa Games Ltd.
Kadokawa Shoten Publishing Co. Ltd.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co. Ltd.
Level-5 Inc.
Marvelous Entertainment Inc.
Media5 Corporation
Namco Bandai Games Inc.
Nihon Falcom Corporation
Nippon Ichi Software Inc.
Nowproduction Co. Ltd.
Q Entertainment Inc.
Sega Corporation
SNK Playmore Corporation
Spike Co. Ltd.
Square Enix Co. Ltd.
SystemSoft Alpha Corp.
Tecmo Koei Games Co. Ltd.
TOMY Company Ltd.
TOSE Co. Ltd.
Ubisoft K.K.
Yuke’s Co. Ltd.

North America
Activision Inc.
Capybara Games
Demiurge Studios
Epic Games Inc.
Far Sight Studios
Frima
High Voltage Software
Kung Fu Factory
Paramount Digital Entertainment
PopCap Games
Powerhead Games
Trendy Entertainment
Ubisoft
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
2K Games
2K Sports

Europe/PAL

Avalanche Studios
Climax Studios Ltd.
Codemasters Software Company Ltd.
Eurocom Developments Ltd.
Eutechnyx Ltd.
Exient Ltd.
Firemint PTY Ltd.
Gameloft SA
Gusto Games Ltd.
Home Entertainment Suppliers PTY Ltd.
Impromptu Software Ltd.
Rebellion
Rockstar Games
Sidhe Interactive
Sumo Digital Ltd.
Team 17 Software Ltd.
Ubisoft Entertainment SA
Zen Studios Ltd.

#14 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

i almost wanna be happy about square being on board, but i'm still bitter about the merge with enix.

EDIT: aha! no atlus!... :(

#15 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:30 PM

EDIT: aha! no atlus!... :(

The hell are you talking about?

Index Corporation (Atlus)

#16 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:35 AM

well, dammit, you know i just looked at the A's and then left.

#17 Erif

Erif
    Uber
  • Who the hell is Vi?

• Uber
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:39 AM

Powerful as hell, a pretty damn big OLED touchscreen, dual analogue sticks, a relatively pleasant design, sixaxis motion sensing (which will hopefully work this time), a fucking REAR multi-touch trackpad,... jesus christ, this thing is a beast. It'll probably be expensive as fuck, it's pretty damn big, and the battery will have to be a monster to run it, but damn.

Nintendo had better watch out, cause this thing absolutely rapes the 3DS.

Gallery

To be honest, everything Sony makes is technically better and more innovative. It's the price that kills them. I would buy a PSP2 over a 3DS any day, but I cant spend $400+ on a handheld. I'd be pretty shocked if it were three hundred bucks, actually.

But yeah, this thing looks amazing. Hopefully the rear-touch screen and motion sensing will work. This may sound stupid, but is this thing a phone, also?

EDIT: aha! no atlus!...

Good for Sony. Nintendo has dominated handheld systems long enough - dominated everything, in fact, if you look at sales charts, the wii is (shockingly) #1 worldwide in sales. So although those numbers account for smaller amounts of income thanks to the wii's smaller price tag, Nintendo is definitely not hurting - and though i disapprove of some of Sony's decisions with the PS3, I do thinkt he psx and ps2 were great candidates for the best console thus far in history - nintendo's mistake is making the assumption that handheld gaming will always be at a lower graphical performance than console gaming. If sony can revolutionize that a little bit, then i say thank goodness SOMEBODY tried it.

You've pretty much summed up a lot of thing I've wanted to say. Yosh, your my hero. =P

I just said this on another forums, regarding the 3DS, and posting it here will make me feel good about myself and raise my self-esteem.

Nintendo pulls so much bullshit. I'm not sure if I've said this or not, but I've strongly disliked Nintendo, the 3DS included, for a couple of years now. They completely lack creativity, and so does the 3DS. It looks exactly the same, has the same shitty graphics, a horrible battery life, and for what? Fucking 3D!? Excuse my hostility, but really? Is that the best you can do, Nintendo?

And then I look at the PSP2. It's marvelous. Dual-analog, motion-sensing, huge OLED touchscreen AND a rear-touchscreen (=D), and the things a fucking powerhouse. No, graphics probably will not "rival" the PS3's, but they'll come pretty damn close. And while the design is relatively the same, it's sleek, a good size, and I love it. And you know what? It'll probably be the most expensive thing ever made. But that's not the point. Sony's new handheld is innovative; it does so many things one couldn't imagine a handheld to do. It may revolutionize handheld gaming. And I know many people don't care much for most of the things the PSP has to offer, but you have to give Sony some credit for what they're doing.

And then I look back at the 3DS, and I'm a bit disgusted, because it'll probably sell better than the PSP, probably because of the difference in price. But it doesn't matter to me; it'll be amazing, and the number of developers already planning games for the PSP2 is... large. =D

I really miss the way Nintendo used to be. You know, before the Wii (I.E. Gamecube, N64, etc.). They were such a great company, and now they seem to be deteriorating as the years progress. And I know, Sony isn't perfect, but at least they're bringing something new to the table (which is kind of ironic to say; anyone heard of a little thing Playstation Move?). In terms of handhelds, at least.

That forums has a lot of Nintendofags. :/

Anyway, all that other stuff is amazingly cool, but for me, it'll really come down to three things: game, price, and back-wards compatibility.

When I say backwards-compatibility, I'm referring to PSP UMDs, PSN downloadable games, including the PSOne/PSTwo classics that are being released on PSN. So far, it seems like it has the latter ability, and additionally, the "Playstation Suite". What I'm worried about is the PSP backward-compatibility. I've yet to see any mention of playing UMD games on the PSP2, which worries me greatly. I never had a PSP, and there are a ton of games I still want to play. Hopefully, I'll get more information about this soon.

Games are probably the most important thing. Dave posted a large list a developers, many of whom I know and love. So yeah, I just have to wait and see. I guessing there will be more launch titles than the 3DS, though.

I really have to worry about the price. It pretty much sums to this: if it's $300, then I will be ecstatic. The chances of that happening are slim, but that would be a definite buy for me. $350, then I'd really have to think about it. That's not in the slightest bit unreasonable, but still, that's when backward-compatibility and games come into play. At $400, there would be a small chance. Again, there'd definitely need to be backward-compatibility with UMDs, and I'd have to see some awesome games announced. But still, not impossible. Now, anything more is a "no".
Posted Image
_______
Quotes?

Alright, I'm tired of mind games. Which one of you two is the mom and which one's the dad? The dad would be the one that shoved the sperm into the other guys ass and pulled it out of the uterus.- BBB

To protect the forum from devastation.
To unite all members through masturbation
To denounce the evils of necroposting and spam
To avoid the swine flu while we eat ham
KREVIN
DAVE
FEEF ROCKET BLASTING OFF AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT
SURRENDER NOW OR PREPARE TO FACE A SIMILAR FATE TO THAT OF ALPHATEHLIGHT

#18 Nitro

Nitro
    Uber
  • overmind

• Uber
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:48 AM

Well, the price will probably go down after a year, and the good games will probably follow.

#19 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:50 AM

I dunno about nintendo deteriorating recently with weird innovations, though... you might be a bit young to remember it, but look up the "virtual boy". while nintendo gets a massive boner off of "innovations" like motion control, the best thing about their systems tends to be the classics - playing a great video game with a classic controller. in playing the wii, i've spent the most time using a gamecube controller. just like in playing the ds, i've spent the most time using buttons and forgoing the optional touch-screen stuff. i barely ever play a game that requires touch-screen control. this is a problem with nintendo, they like to make innovative stuff, but it ends up not being the backbone of their sales.

#20 Nitro

Nitro
    Uber
  • overmind

• Uber
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:59 AM

I think that says a lot about the people buying, and how they are always tempted by innovation even if they don't use it. Whats smart about nintendo, and what they have learned since the virtual boy, is to allow the same basic gaming style (control pad) to continue to work so that games can keep being produced while making it appear as if they are innovative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 12 user(s)