• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Fifi

Fifi
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

SOPA and PIPA seem to be a hot topic every where at the moment. Wikipedia, along with other websites, has shut down for 24 hours in protest to these acts the government is trying to pass.
The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect IP Act (PIPA) will be faced by U.S. government on January 24th. Many U.S. citizens and online users are sighning pititions to strike against this action.
If these Acts pass, The U.S will have censored internet, and many sites will disapear or be censored (i.e. Facebook, 4Chan, Wikipeida, Blogger, etc.)

Here is a link you all can visit to stop this from happening:
https://www.google.c...ing/takeaction/

I looked around the forums to see if there was a topic on this already, and saw nothing, so I hope I didn't post old info all over again. If I did, my B.
Disucuss.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Tee Hee. I'm a Togetic and Charizard <3

[11:20:04 PM] M.C MyZtery: so youre meaning to tell me theyre being selfish, or i should take PMS medications?

[5:46:56 PM] M.C MyZtery: i said i was a faggot choliflour.

#2 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

I've been keeping an eye on this for quite a while, it's been going on a long time. It does seem to be coming to a climax now, and it's a good sign that many big websites are taking notice.

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#3 Erif

Erif
    Uber
  • Who the hell is Vi?

• Uber
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

homg the world's coming to an end.
Posted Image
_______
Quotes?

Alright, I'm tired of mind games. Which one of you two is the mom and which one's the dad? The dad would be the one that shoved the sperm into the other guys ass and pulled it out of the uterus.- BBB

To protect the forum from devastation.
To unite all members through masturbation
To denounce the evils of necroposting and spam
To avoid the swine flu while we eat ham
KREVIN
DAVE
FEEF ROCKET BLASTING OFF AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT
SURRENDER NOW OR PREPARE TO FACE A SIMILAR FATE TO THAT OF ALPHATEHLIGHT

#4 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

Obama is against both bills almost entirely, so I don't see it passing any time soon.
Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Wolff should've been reclassed to squirrel.

Posted Image

#5 Cheshire

Cheshire
  • shadow cat

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

It's been a while since I was in school, does the president have executive powers over the bills passing?

You'd think the government should be focusing it's attention on more crucial things like feeding the hungry and housing the homeless. Instead they cause a bunch of drama, makes me wonder what's happening during all this comotion.
As long as you persist in coming to this site, we will continue...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:00 AM

Yes he has powers over bills, but the Houses can override him if they get a certain amount of votes for it.
Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Wolff should've been reclassed to squirrel.

Posted Image

#7 Nitro

Nitro
    Uber
  • overmind

• Uber
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:11 AM

POPULAR

Do it, government. I dare you.

#8 Krevin except a lot cooler

Krevin except a lot cooler
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

repealed
/thread

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#9 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:06 AM

Just when you think it's over... the FBI seizes Megaupload.

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#10 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:35 AM

I was quite amused by the number of people who are running around screaming that the Megaupload shutdown is related to SOPA. It has been a long time coming.

Strange timing, though. FBI clearly have a sense of humour.

#11 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:10 AM

well it's not related to the bill itself, but the issues are related. the FBI is using the megaupload shutdown as an example for why they need SOPA - to go all watchdog on "rogue sites" that are outside of their jurisdiction, so yeah it's related in a political way.

#12 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:41 AM

As long as Mediafire doesn't go, I'm happy.
Posted Image

#13 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:45 AM

Considering they took it down the old fashioned way (and over several years of investigation, apparently), I don't understand the link between this and the methods proposed by SOPA. If anything, it's an argument against it.

And yeah, Mediafire will probably be a target, though they have remained relatively clean.

#14 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:29 AM

well the thing about SOPA that its supporters tout is the ability to stop foreign-based companies that "support" piracy. from what I read in an article, the justice department is talking about this particular case and saying that it's a triumph, but that this won't be possible against such foreign-based sites without SOPA. Which is bullshit anyway, because with SOPA, they wouldn't do much besides blacklist the site in the U.S. and threaten with the same old legal action they already threaten with.

At this point, freedom of information just seems inevitable, an unexpected side effect of the growth of the world wide web. The MPAA, the RIAA, the entertainment industries in general are just dying a slow death from the cancer of being unable to charge everyone to see everything. Things will have to change eventually for artists to make money, it's just gonna be a long period of evolution until that end is reached.

#15 Cheshire

Cheshire
  • shadow cat

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

They should do away with the symbol riddled mind control program material being sold while they're at it. I find it strange that they're angered or concerned that people will do what they can to get their hands on entertainment that contains this stuff. Some artists or musicians are glad to have their work seen or heard. Stupid money grubbing a-holes.
As long as you persist in coming to this site, we will continue...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Nitro

Nitro
    Uber
  • overmind

• Uber
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:51 AM

The bills lost much Congressional support following Wednesday's internet-wide protest, as well a number of offline protests in New York, Seattle, San Francisco, and Washington, DC. A petition launched by Google was signed by more than 7 million.

According to CNN, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said voting on PIPA, which was set for next week, has been postponed "in light of recent events." He also said, "there is no reason that the legitimate issues raised by many about this bill cannot be resolved."

For SOPA, the House will "postpone the consideration of the legislation until there is wider agreement on a solution," wrote House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith in a statement, according to CNN. He said, "I have heard from the critics and I take seriously their concerns. It is clear that we need to revisit the approach on how best to address the problem of foreign thieves."

called it called it called it

#17 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:04 AM

Yeah, postponed.

Shits starting to go down, though. Fileserve just pulled their "affiliates" program (basically payed people who uploaded files, ie. funded piracy), and uploads are disappearing.

#18 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Again, all I particularly care about anymore is Mediafire.
Posted Image

#19 Erif

Erif
    Uber
  • Who the hell is Vi?

• Uber
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:47 AM

I don't. Although mediafire is my primary source for music, a bunch of people also use Filesonic, Fileshare, and Megaupload especially for anime, since torrenting is a big no-no.
Posted Image
_______
Quotes?

Alright, I'm tired of mind games. Which one of you two is the mom and which one's the dad? The dad would be the one that shoved the sperm into the other guys ass and pulled it out of the uterus.- BBB

To protect the forum from devastation.
To unite all members through masturbation
To denounce the evils of necroposting and spam
To avoid the swine flu while we eat ham
KREVIN
DAVE
FEEF ROCKET BLASTING OFF AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT
SURRENDER NOW OR PREPARE TO FACE A SIMILAR FATE TO THAT OF ALPHATEHLIGHT

#20 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:06 AM

and why would torrenting be a big no-no

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users