30 replies to this topic

#1 M.C MyZtery

M.C MyZtery
    Uber
  • hazel bubble chu~

• Uber
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

So as some of you may know, ive been working at dell, and from the 26th to the 7th theres a 17% discount on dell computers...

I want a new computer because my old 2001 Desktop is only good for keeping my feet warm on rainy days, Im thinking of getting a laptop where I could ACTUALLYplay Games on. But I know nothing about computer specs.

Dell recently purchased a third party company named "alienware" who specializes in gaming laptops, and this caught my interest but I want to know whats alright, whats good and whats just too much.

Here are all the computers that caught my attention, I wouldnt mind taking one of the 3 desktops if you guys assured me that theyre just as good for gaming, not to mention theyre cheaper lol, I can barely afford those Alienware laptops, ill starve after purchasing one.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Spoiler

Posted Image
Credit for Flareon siggy goes to November

#2 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

The Alienware X51 is more than enough, I just don't like how it says "Starting at" 700, but yea. And the Inspiron 660 isn't bad but you might want to see if you can get the i7 over the i5. And I would say don't go down to windows 7 when you have Windows 8 choices.
Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Wolff should've been reclassed to squirrel.

Posted Image

#3 M.C MyZtery

M.C MyZtery
    Uber
  • hazel bubble chu~

• Uber
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Sweet, I might just get the Al.X51 then, I mean id love a laptop, but they seem to be way expensive.

And Dell has this "starting at" deal because I can pimp out the computer before buying it, adding to its cost.

Dunno if I can change the Intel core thing though, but I do know theres a checkbox for windows 8 on the website It just doesnt change the area i screencapped from.

If 8GB RAM is more than enough, what are 16GB computers for then? is that like an exagerated amount of unneeded RAM?

Why is that desktop thats just as good as that laptop cost half as much? is it just because of the commodity?

Thanks for your input btw, I just want to know if ill be getting what im expecting.
Spoiler

Posted Image

#4 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Probably graphics card, cooling devices, power supply differences (can you get full detail pages for each so we can get more I depth?). 8 is all you need to play, but for bf3/sc2 and the like to play on extreme settings us want 16 with a nice beefy graphics card. Also on my phone this time so sorry for not paragraphing or much detail I hate using here and doing giant posts, something always goes wrong.
Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Wolff should've been reclassed to squirrel.

Posted Image

#5 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

If 8GB RAM is more than enough, what are 16GB computers for then? is that like an exagerated amount of unneeded RAM?

Video rendering and heavy 3D graphics modeling, mainly. Given that the many games are still 32bit and only support up to 4gb anyway, there's no reason to go above 8 for a gaming PC right now. If you really want to multitask and have hundreds of browser tabs + random programs + a game open at the same time, then it might be worth going for a larger amount of ram... but seriously, it's not worth it.

Why is that desktop thats just as good as that laptop cost half as much? is it just because of the commodity?

Think about it. Laptop = small = smaller parts + the need to keep everything running at cool temperatures + all of the extra shit like the monitor = more expensive to produce.

#6 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

I'd love to know what the x-51's actual specs are rather than the options. for instance, the core i7 is NOT necessary... if it starts with an i5 i'd say you're just fine. if you want to really think long term and hopefully not replace the thing in the next 4 years, maybe go up tot he i7 just because the processor is the most troublesome part (other than the motherboard, lol) to customize and replace.

the 8GB memory option is nice... definitely wanna know what the base is. i have 6GB memory and it's pretty fine for most stuff but 8GB is, these days, generally considered mid-range standard for gaming PCs. Don't get me wrong - to give you an idea, I can play most generally recent games (fallout new vegas, mafia 2, deus ex human revolution, skyrim) on the higher options with my setup. so for gaming, 6GB-8GB is what you're looking for.

the graphics card option is a nice card, but again we have no idea how much nicer it is than the base card. just to give you an idea though, that option card is nice in the sense that it's more powerful than you need - which is important i guess if you wanna play all the newest games that come out on their best settings. it also eats up a pretty good chunk of power, though.

the blueray reader thing is like, anathema to me... but for some people, having a blueray player on their comp is great. idk, my comp was about 700 bucks almost two years ago and CAME with a blueray reader drive. so idk if i consider that such a huge awesome option.

dgaf about a wireless integrated LAN card. maybe i don't understand the concept, but i know that LAN shit and wireless shit are both relatively cheap and easy to set up on any computer so whatever.

as to your question about computers with like 16GB ram, it depends on what you wanna do. the latest games are fairly memory intensive but other applications are more memory intensive and running multiple memory-intensive applications simultaneously also demands more and more memory. i'm expecting you probably won't be running shit like Maya on your comp.

laptops cost more in general. there are downsides to equal all of the upsides with them though, like for example being much more difficult to customize, they have some heating issues too since they don't have a bigass tower with multiple fans keeping it all chilly-willy. less room for expansion further limits your customization options. a laptop is more temporary than a desktop in general... and with their high level of customization, a desktop can equal either a long-term computer or eventually parts to frankenstein into another computer later on. overall i'd ALWAYS recommend a desktop over a laptop unless you really really need to use a computer everywhere you go.

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#7 XX++Archangel__Darkangel//

XX++Archangel__Darkangel//
    Veteran
  • Advanced Member

• Veterans
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

There is no way the base build of the alienware includes a GTX660 or an i7, in fact it uses the GT640... which is worth $99... in a $700 build. So Alienware is really shit value actually. FYI the X51 base build includes (according to http://www.dell.com/...lienware-x51/fs):

1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
No Monitor
No Mouse
Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English (buying windows lol)
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i3-2120 (3M Cache, 3.3 GHz)
1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640
240W External Power Supply

Wow not even an i5. That cpu is worth like $120. If you built your own it would cost like $400...
The GTX 660 only comes in for $1k+ builds. lol.

If there's a 17% discount this becomes acceptable value, but you have to know exactly what you are getting.

Also the gap between GT640 and GTX660 is seriously uncomfortable. The first is a piece of shit and the second is way too much than you need.

If you have any confidence at all you should really build your own computer. You would probably save about 1/4 of the cost. And not have to buy windows. So even if you manage to snap the CPU in half you end up even. And building a comp is really like slots in holes.

However if you find a good value retailer then that's fine too. However, most computer companies will really rip you off for gaming desktops in particular. If you can find one that's great but this Alienware build would be raping your money for no reason.

I'm assuming that you want to play current games on decent settings. This means you need no more than $1k for certain.

More than 8gb RAM is a donation to the company, simple as that. This will cost around $50.

For a proc any i5 is more than sufficient and an i7 is overkill. A 3570K will be around $200.

For a graphics card you'd be looking to spend around $200 which gives you a ATI 7850 or 7870 which are both very capable cards. Not as good at a GTX660 but that's $300 and more than you need.

A motherboard will be $100.

A case will be $100.

A hard drive will be $100.

So that's about $750.

+Monitor $100 and KB+mouse

#8 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:51 AM

i'm not gonna advise homes to build his own, simply because you can still buy a lot of preassembled comps for a better value. after looking at those base stats from kai, yeah for 700 dollars you would not be getting your money's worth at all. no monitor is pretty much standard, but not even throwing in a fuckin' mouse? that's just funny

edit: quick example of just the first thing i came across, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883255243 with the graphics card replaced would basically cost about the same as the base x51 and be a decidedly superior setup... with the mouse. lol

double the hard drive space, same OS, better processor, roughly equal power consumption and probably more memory, though kai's list doesnt show what the x51's base memory is and i'm too lazy to look it up meself. point is, the differences are big and the price is the same. unfortunately alienware's been the biggest name in preassembled gaming pc for like a decade, so you pay for a brand name.

further edit: actually, you might get a better deal on regular dell computers instead of their associated alienware comps. that inspiron desktop looks promising, but no mention of the graphics card, so assume you'll need to replace it. and "upgraded processor" means nothing unless they tell us what processor it has, lol

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#9 XX++Archangel__Darkangel//

Veteran
  • Advanced Member

• Veterans
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

it was 6gb

#10 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Alienware is overpriced, overhyped garbage.

You can perhaps check out XoticPC.com and build your own laptop there if you're really interested in a gaming laptop.
Posted Image

#11 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Alienware is overpriced, overhyped garbage.

You can perhaps check out XoticPC.com and build your own laptop there if you're really interested in a gaming laptop.

But the whole point is that he has a 17% discount with Dell.

I agree with Yosh though - you might be better off going for a non-alienware computer if you can get better specs for the same price.

#12 XX++Archangel__Darkangel//

Veteran
  • Advanced Member

• Veterans
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

dell desktops without gpus are a fucking stupid idea yosh (who is the master of stupid ideas) because the mobo is proprietary dell and you might not even be able to put in your own GPU + shitty value as usual

the XPS series are even shittier value than the alienware suprisingly. It tops out at GT 640 even in the 1k+ builds which is absolute trash.

If you go with alienware you either have to be happy with the GT640 or happy to fork out 1k+ for GTX660 when really the balance graphics cards are at $200.
If you're happy to play on low settings then the GT640 is fine. But it really starts being a lame card, even for a regular person (apparently 25fps in bf3)

The newegg lenovo is good if you can add a graphics card.

#13 M.C MyZtery

M.C MyZtery
    Uber
  • hazel bubble chu~

• Uber
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

OK So apparently I dont get to have the 17% discount unless I have a credit card or have worked 12 months ( ill have 12 months by march) and even though Wolff says the computers are really good, everyone says theyre not worth what they cost, and honestly I dont have that much money to just spend 1200 bucks on a PC at the moment.

and considering im going to move to the US in april ill just put it off till then.

anyways what ive learned here is that Alienware is the starbucks of Gaming computers, and I dont want to pay just for a brand name. and that 17% off which equals about 160$ might not be worth it anyway.

Id love to build my own computer if it saves me 200 bucks, but I have no idea how to do that, ( my dad probably does, he was a tank mechanic so i might be able to pull it off)

I thank you all for helping me out with this, and im still accepting suggestions for what I should actually buy or do ( my 2001 desktop is acting up so I have to figure out what im going to replace it with. )
Spoiler

Posted Image

#14 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

some of my ideas aren't too bad.

also, knew dell doesn't have the best reputation among hardware dudes, but never thought they would make their motherboards specifically impossible to work with. that's pretty shitty. i know the inspiron isn't a great value but with the discount it's acceptable for a guy who needs to ask advice on what kind of computer to buy. knowhatimean

anywho i still think the best idea for myz is to get a preassembled rig off newegg or some other reasonable retailer. for mid-range gaming, you can expect to pay about 600-800 dollars without the monitor, which you can expect to pay about 100-130 dollars for a decent LCD monitor @ 18-19". That's what I would tell you to expect as the costs.

#15 XX++Archangel__Darkangel//

Veteran
  • Advanced Member

• Veterans
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

desktops without a graphics card may not have a mobo with a pci-e slot. also if they do have one and you put in a nice card you probably have to upgrade the power supply. once you start doing that then you might as well BYO

the inspiron is not acceptable because the alienware actually beats it in value (lol)

#16 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

I just built a pretty solid gaming laptop that I may or may not buy.

3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3610QM
15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen

IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
nVidia GeForce GTX 670M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
12GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer Hard Drive
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

It runs me about a grand. Plays most modern demanding games at high with an average of 50-60 FPS and like 40fps for Ultra.
Posted Image

#17 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

personally i can't understand getting 12 gigs of memory and less than a terabyte of hard drive space, but whatever floats yer boat.

#18 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

I can bring it down to 8 and I plan to. That's just what the specs I have saved are. I plan on changing the build once I do more research. If I end up needing a terabyte hard drive I'll just get an external.
Posted Image

#19 XX++Archangel__Darkangel//

Veteran
  • Advanced Member

• Veterans
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

dunno how the fuck you can get those specs for 1k on a laptop

#20 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

The exact total is 1250 when all is said and done.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users