• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Nocturne

Nocturne
  • 晓秋月明

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

Perhaps you do not understand what "Level Adjustment" and "Racial Hit Dice" mean. Do those words ring a bell at all? Also, "rolling for stats" does not mean taking 3 18s and 3 16s and stuffing them onto your character sheet, nor does it mean having mathematically impossible numbers everywhere.

唱完一弯明月 洒西楼

花好月圆 情字老

落叶沙沙 晓秋月明

正月既望两断了情长

#22 the lone hero

the lone hero
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

What is mathematically impossible about them?

19.jpg

#23 Hera

Hera

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

I don't mean to give you too rough a welcome here, Rune, and I realize not everyone likes to write volumes of backstory, but as another player I'd like it if you gave us a bit better idea of how your characters behave and fit into a group.

#24 Nocturne

Nocturne
  • 晓秋月明

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

First I would like to point out that each character incurs some sort of Level Adjustment - the Aasimar is a +1 LA race, which means the warlock would only be level 2, while the Skulk is a +1 LA race and has 2 racial Hit Dice on top of that, which means the Scout wouldn't actually have levels in Scout because it would be too busy trying to pay off the Level Adjustment, much less be able to acquire the Shadow Creature template (which takes an additional 2 levels). Finally, the anthropomorphic elephant has 3 racial Hit Dice and +2 LA, which means it can't even be played because the minimum level the character would be is 5 (and adding 3 would, you know, make the character's ECL 8). Additionally the type of elephant was unspecified - is it an African or an Indian elephant? This is actually important.

Onto stats. Statistic generation is not "put an array of 16 16 16 18 18 18 into the sheet" and "pretend maximum was rolled on each die for hp"; you actually have to roll. Previously a value of 108 was seen for the elephant's HP - this is impossible even with the supposition that one has the extra monstrous hit dice from anthropomorphic elephant and is still able to take 3 levels in Barbarian, because 108 - 3 * 12 - 3 * 8 - 6 * 7 = 6.

The elephant guy has too much base attack bonus. Monstrous humanoid hit dice provide only 3/4 BAB and d8 hit dice - which means that the BAB of the character exceeds standard by 1 (even with the ridiculous mass of ignorance that is the entire collection of sheets). Also, fullblades don't exist in 3.5. It is a strictly 3e weapon which would be better approximated as a Large Bastard Sword or whatever, which is fine... except the Barbarian doesn't have a feat to use it with. Thus, a number of penalties are incurred, none of which are noted. Finally, the barbarian should have monstrous humanoid hit dice - not fighter hit dice (d10) - and certainly not the number that was listed in the box.

There is a multitude of other flaws with the documents I can name, but I won't bother, because I'd rather not attempt to make out what was intended by the pieces of text presented on the things that masquerade as character sheets. Instead I would like to make a suggestion: please read the Player's Handbook (v3.5) first before you start playing D&D again - splatbooks only help you after you learn the rules, not before.

Addendum: I only examined the barbarian, because after reading it I was too mentally exhausted. If anyone else would like to pick apart the scout and / or warlock sheet, feel free.

Addendum 2: What the heck is "8 sideways...."?

唱完一弯明月 洒西楼

花好月圆 情字老

落叶沙沙 晓秋月明

正月既望两断了情长

#25 the lone hero

the lone hero
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

I was asking because I seriously didn't know.

19.jpg

#26 Jupies

Jupies
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

I was asking because I seriously didn't know.

You'll have to excuse nocturne, he can get a little.. passionate about mechanics.

Ash: I didn't know Vikings still existed..
Brock: They mostly live in Minnesota!

#27 Nocturne

Nocturne
  • 晓秋月明

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

Well, the criticism was mostly directed at "XRunemasterX", so no worries.

(Especially the last part - I was going to write the entire thing in 3rd person but I guess I missed those two instances of "you"? Whoops.)

唱完一弯明月 洒西楼

花好月圆 情字老

落叶沙沙 晓秋月明

正月既望两断了情长

#28 XX++Archangel__Darkangel//

XX++Archangel__Darkangel//
    Veteran
  • Advanced Member

• Veterans
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

8 sideways is infinity - infinite ammo

#29 Nocturne

Nocturne
  • 晓秋月明

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:35 AM

Well, chalk up another point for numerical inaccuracy. Infinite ammunition costs infinite gold unless the weapon generates ammunition.

唱完一弯明月 洒西楼

花好月圆 情字老

落叶沙沙 晓秋月明

正月既望两断了情长

#30 the lone hero

the lone hero
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

Well couldn't he have a quiver of aplenty?

19.jpg

#31 Andmcmuffin2

Andmcmuffin2
  • Certainly not a Veteran

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

Sure, if he managed to pull over 10,000 gold out of various orifices of his.

So no, he couldn't.

Posted Image

#32 Nocturne

Nocturne
  • 晓秋月明

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

Dragon Magazine #328 has a Quiver of Plenty that produces unlimited masterwork wooden, steel tipped, cold iron and silvered arrows, plus 5 adamantine ones for 18,000. This is too expensive for our starting wealth, however, and Dragon Magazine is 3rd party.

唱完一弯明月 洒西楼

花好月圆 情字老

落叶沙沙 晓秋月明

正月既望两断了情长

#33 Skitt

Skitt

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

Also, uh - I've got a barbarian using the PHB, and not only does Rune not have the correct skills (missing some as part of the Barbarian class itself, and...I guess those extras added-on might be part of the elephant race?) but he went ahead and put max ranks in all; giving himself a whopping 99 skill points at level three. He'd have 36 if I did the math correctly.

#34 XRunemasterX

XRunemasterX

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Perhaps you do not understand what "Level Adjustment" and "Racial Hit Dice" mean. Do those words ring a bell at all? Also, "rolling for stats" does not mean taking 3 18s and 3 16s and stuffing them onto your character sheet, nor does it mean having mathematically impossible numbers everywhere.

for one, yea i do know wat it means. and 2 i accualy ROLLED those stats thank you very much

#35 XRunemasterX

XRunemasterX

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

Well, chalk up another point for numerical inaccuracy. Infinite ammunition costs infinite gold unless the weapon generates ammunition.

so sue me for not knowing how much gold we had or if we were running ammo count

#36 XRunemasterX

XRunemasterX

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Also, uh - I've got a barbarian using the PHB, and not only does Rune not have the correct skills (missing some as part of the Barbarian class itself, and...I guess those extras added-on might be part of the elephant race?) but he went ahead and put max ranks in all; giving himself a whopping 99 skill points at level three. He'd have 36 if I did the math correctly.

was cuz i was tired, was guna go bak in and do all that stat stuff later

#37 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

so... Again you triple post with what could easily be one post... You see the multi quote button? Is this the first forum you've ever graced with your presence?

Then you don't take questioning correctly... They are just helping, all in all right? I mean from what I read it seems that way... How about you get off your high horse make an introductory thread take some to figure out how this posting stuff works so that you stop breaking so many rules... I mean you have a legit post count of 2, but since you replied to each post with a post you got two extra there, then whilst not knowing how to edit your post TWICE you posted two more times to update on a post... So yea if things came across rude to you there's a reason, but it all starts with you...

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Wolff should've been reclassed to squirrel.

Posted Image

#38 Jupies

Jupies
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

for one, yea i do know wat it means. and 2 i accualy ROLLED those stats thank you very much

Just gonna go ahead and point out your skulk has a charisma of 16 after a -4 racial modifier, meaning you had a 20 base; which, obviously, is impossible to have rolled.

Ash: I didn't know Vikings still existed..
Brock: They mostly live in Minnesota!

#39 Andmcmuffin2

Andmcmuffin2
  • Certainly not a Veteran

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

It's like you grasp what "level 3" means without any of the restrictions and allowances that entails. You can:
-Make a character of up to level 3. This would require you to pick a race with no LA and no RHD. Every +1 to Level Adjustment or every Racial Hit Die is one level you can't have as a character.
-Make a monster character with a corresponding monster class, up to level 3. For the most part, monster characters in D&D are really dumb, but they made monster classes to (somewhat) help the balancing act. The Vampire Spawn class in Libris Mortis or the Gnoll class in Races of the Wild are good examples of this.

-Purchase items using gold up to level 3's Wealth By Level. This one's a bit of a catch, since the GM's actually running with one level higher's WBL, but that's still 5400 gold, not some obscene amount.

-Create a character first, then a statblock. Honestly, I think I've read $2 romance novels with more depth to the characters than what I see. At least partly, that might be because:

-Use Spellcheck. Come on man, it's included in Firefox and Chrome. There's spelling errors abound and it makes a mockery of anything you were trying to do.

-Stop lying. Nocturne's a D&D veteran of this system pretty much since its release, and the rest of us don't have entirely addled mental faculties. As Jupies pointed out, you literally have an impossible character already. If you want help, you might try stepping back, calming down, and asking respectfully.

And with clearer grammar. If we don't have to decipher what we're reading, it's less likely we'll take it as a joke.

2/10 at least you put numbers on a page

Posted Image

#40 XRunemasterX

XRunemasterX

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

Just gonna go ahead and point out your skulk has a charisma of 16 after a -4 racial modifier, meaning you had a 20 base; which, obviously, is impossible to have rolled.

whops. thank you musta missed it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users