FEE Origins?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Sinole

Sinole

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

I was thinking about writing an article that examines online communities, so I have a few questions.

Dave: Why did you start this website/forum?

All other Members: Why did you join FEE? What keeps you here? Why FEE over other online communities?

I'm pretty sure I joined because I had just got into Fire Emblem and somehow found this forum while trying to find information to help me play. And then I stayed because everyone seemed really cool and smart, and you all taught me how to use emulators and roms and the next thing I know I was creating sprites in MS paint, and the rest as they say, is history.

vzgcn9.jpg Sinole

#2 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

I joined FEEF because I had just discovered the greatness of fire emblem 7, after wanting to try it for a few years. I remember seeing it advertised in a leaflet included with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which Kaleido had just bought for his new GBA SP (which had just come out at the time). That would have been like 2003. I thought it looked really intriguing in the advertising, much more so than the other games advertised, so I made a mental note to try it one day. With the development of stable GBA emulation, I had a convenient opportunity to try it and fell in love.

If I remember correctly, I then had a brilliant idea. What if I could get sprites from Fire Emblem - the ones used for faces - and try to rearrange the pieces to create new characters? That'd be wild. Probably wouldn't work, though. Might as well check the different spriting sites and see if anyone has fire emblem stuff. Somehow, that led me to discovering that this sort of thing was actually way common already, especially on fire emblem fan forums. So of course I quickly came to the conclusion that people who did this stuff were cool as shit and I should try to get into that. Fire Emblem Empire would have been one of the first results in google, and was apparently the forum I ended up going with. Which means it was probably the first one I looked at. 

I stayed here so long because I became attached to the community and continued to be crazy about Fire Emblem. Nowadays I'm not so crazy over it, but still enjoy it and have spent far too much time here to just leave without a good reason. I'm glad I ended up coming here because the few other surviving fire emblem forums are too packed with members, and I would feel much more anonymous there. FEEF is like a small town, where everybody knows everybody and we get to know new people pretty quick.

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#3 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:34 AM

Dave didn't start it, Tricky did.  Dave simply was given webmaster rights after Tricky moved on.

Posted Image

#4 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

this is true. frick were you around way back then? or is this just common knowledge these days

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#5 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

Common Knowledge... however he's been here a good while as have I, in my forum retrospect of lasting a few months this place has lasted a few years... so yea.

I'll write something up for you, although I still feel less known :P

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Wolff should've been reclassed to squirrel.

Posted Image

#6 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

come on guys there's a whole thread dedicated to who joined when

Yeah, Tricky was the one who founded the website. He lost interest/real life took over after about 6 months, and he was going the shut the site down, when I randomly had an MSN conversation with him (had known him for several years already from other communities). I offered to take over and continue to run the site... and I'm still here almost 7 years later.

#7 The Bread

The Bread
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:48 AM

come on guys there's a whole thread dedicated to who joined when

Yeah, Tricky was the one who founded the website. He lost interest/real life took over after about 6 months, and he was going the shut the site down, when I randomly had an MSN conversation with him (had known him for several years already from other communities). I offered to take over and continue to run the site... and I'm still here almost 7 years later.

That and most of us didn't want to see the site die so fast.  Which is when you stepped in whilst I was helping too.  :D  

ihateyoubutnotreallythough

#8 Ninja Penguin

Ninja Penguin
  • Howl's Moving Luxury Condo

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

Discovered spriting and wanted a place to post things for feedback; FEP was intimidatingly large. A-also I've been here since 2007, so I owe the place quite a bit of my, uh-- shaping, I guess? I'm certainly not the same person as I was six years ago, at any rate.

Lord. Six years.

But yeah. Made some close friends here and I intend to keep 'em.

Posted Image
A spritefic.

#9 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

Holy shit I've been here 6 years too.

I joined because I had some question about FE7 or something, and I stuck around because I had recently started homeschooling for my final years of high school and had to cut off connection to pretty much all my friends, and I was going through my Fire Emblem phase so why not stick around a forum for it?

Then I kinda stopped caring so much about Fire Emblem and so did the rest of the site and I've stuck around because you guys are part of my life. I'd honestly consider some of you to be closer to me than some of my RL friends.

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#10 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

yeah true that... but then post high school one stops having a lot of friends anyway. too much of a time commitment.

#11 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

Word for sure. I can't keep up with more than like 2 friendships tops with the exception of people I work with.

#12 Peppy Hare-nest

Peppy Hare-nest
    Veteran
  • Autopromotion

• Veterans
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Discovered the forums by searching "Fire Emblem" on Google Images, and found some panels of Epic of FEEF 1.0. I didn't know a word of English then, but I learned that language by lurking a lot on the forums (though I admit I was just looking at the spritefics' pictures and the characters' names for the most time), even if it implied that I got the bases wrong and started with horrible grammar. I didn't join by the time of FEE1F because of the lack of a personal e-mail address.

sig.gif

#13 Erif

Erif
    Uber
  • Who the hell is Vi?

• Uber
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

Then I kinda stopped caring so much about Fire Emblem and so did the rest of the site and I've stuck around because you guys are part of my life. I'd honestly consider some of you to be closer to me than some of my RL friends.

You forgot the part where you disappeared for like a year.

With the development of stable GBA emulation, I had a convenient opportunity to try it and fell in love.

Classic Yosh.

Also you forgot the part where you disappeared for like a year.

Discovered the forums by searching "Fire Emblem" on Google Images, and found some panels of Epic of FEEF 1.0. I didn't know a word of English then, but I learned that language by lurking a lot on the forums (though I admit I was just looking at the spritefics' pictures and the characters' names for the most time), even if it implied that I got the bases wrong and started with horrible grammar. I didn't join by the time of FEE1F because of the lack of a personal e-mail address.

Damn, you learned English by lurking on Fire Emblem sites? That takes commitment, to say the least.

Posted Image
_______
Quotes?

Alright, I'm tired of mind games. Which one of you two is the mom and which one's the dad? The dad would be the one that shoved the sperm into the other guys ass and pulled it out of the uterus.- BBB

To protect the forum from devastation.
To unite all members through masturbation
To denounce the evils of necroposting and spam
To avoid the swine flu while we eat ham
KREVIN
DAVE
FEEF ROCKET BLASTING OFF AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT
SURRENDER NOW OR PREPARE TO FACE A SIMILAR FATE TO THAT OF ALPHATEHLIGHT

#14 M.C MyZtery

M.C MyZtery
    Uber
  • hazel bubble chu~

• Uber
  • 3,941 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

Ive been a Sonic Forumer since like 2004...Ended up inheriting about 3 sonic forums due to being the youngest and everyone else left for college, so at that point I needed a new forum. I remember I googled  "Fire Emblem Dual Blade swordmaster sprites" and it brought me to FEEF, so I just looked around for said sprites and never found them...then I saw a Yosh's mug holding a dildo and I thought the people here were wack so I would lurk a bit more and then SHAZAM the site got hacked and that actually made me commit much more to it, i couldnt abandon a place that had taken such a hit.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Spoiler

Posted Image
Credit for Flareon siggy goes to November

#15 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

<3

#16 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

I had been lurking around the site for a really long time, since Dave was Blitz and his old avatar still had armor and that weird laugh animation.  Tricky was gone when I first found out about the site, but Dave had just taken over recently.  I eventually signed up probably a year and a half or so later in May '08 because I had an interest in spriting.  Never, ever got into it myself though; just thought the ones on display here were pretty damn neat. 

Posted Image

#17 Karino

Karino
    Veteran
  • embarrassing myself on the regular

• Veterans
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

Wait a second, six years here too. November 2007.

God I remember I joined here looking for rp when I was 12, back when I was actually an RPer. Honestly I'm not sure what made me stay. I was pretty useless and awkward for like the first 4 years. And now I'm just useless.

But I mean I'm here, so hey.

send help

#18 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

Holyshit Karino is 18 now. 

What age does that make Erif?

inb4 "I'm twalve and I like Naruto ^____________________^"

#19 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:13 AM

old avatar still had armor and that weird laugh animation.  

lol, I had completely forgotten about that.

#20 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:15 AM

I still just assume that Dave's avatar is laughing when I see it in my peripherals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users