Jump to content

Photo

CHAPTER 2b - Bottle of Rum


  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Toku

Toku
    Administrator
  • angstwrangler

  • Administrators
  • 1,899 posts
  • Location:corners

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

tS8TkRi.png

 

The task force races to meet the first group, the transport ship skimming over the waters and speeding towards the port town. Some kind of line of rocks marks entrance into Vexali territory at some point during the sea journey, but they aren't intercepted by any ships...

 

The small port town of Rhuda is the closest mark of civilization to the mountain path, after a quick survey of the land... though as the vessel gets closer, it appears that not all in the town is peaceful. The boat coasts lightly up to the dock - a couple armed men watching suspiciously as the group gets closer, and some barring the little hamlet's north exit.

 

The sounds of shouting, arguing, and the clank of tankards can be heard from the tavern closest to the docks...



#2 shrub

shrub
  • Advanced Member

  • Members
  • 411 posts
  • Location:Ontario

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

(Are new characters welcome to jump in when it is appropriate to do so, or do they need to formally introduced to the group in some way?)


wariotime_small.png
 

#3 XX++Archangel__Darkangel//

XX++Archangel__Darkangel//
    Veteran
  • Advanced Member

  • Veterans
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

dont they fall out of houses or somethign

#4 Epoch_Win

Epoch_Win
  • Advanced Member

  • Members
  • 49 posts
  • Location:Between a rock and a hard place

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

(That's what happened in 1b, so I'd guess so.)

 

At the initial sight of land, Teion visibly brightens, having been either bent over the side of the ship or below decks for most of the journey.

"Remind me never to get on a boat again, This is why I'll always choose a gods-be-damned mount over a *HURK*"

He falls more or less silent once again as he proceeds to feed his lunch to the fish.


Try out League of Legends!

http://signup.league...17ea79946284253

 

19.jpg

 


#5 shrub

shrub
  • Advanced Member

  • Members
  • 411 posts
  • Location:Ontario

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

(I guess I'll just go for it. I hope I'm not being rash.)

 

vmzbYx1.png

 

Well past the Khan Vexal-Aventhral border, Atlas continued his trek along the rocky nation's southern coast. Traveling through a shrouded forest, he noticed rays of light breaking through the canopy up ahead, a sign that he was approaching the exit. The young adventurer walked past a group of trees to enter an open plain with built-up areas spotting the horizon, and the land's grand mountains towering over them. He then turned to see Serenity Bay, its deep blue waters sparkling in the midday sun, as he breathed in the salty ocean air.

 

Atlas, while reveling in the beauty of the vista, spotted a large tree with an apple precariously dangling from one of its branches. "Ah, target practice!" He thought with excitement as he made his way towards it. The novice marksman spaced his feet, stood up straight, and focused his sight on the red fruit as he pulled on his bowstring with an arrow newly pulled from his quiver. He released his grip and the arrow whizzed by the apple, only causing it to swing back and forth before once again coming to rest. Atlas cursed under his breath and tried again. Three or four arrows later, he managed to hit his mark and walked over to the tree to redeem his delicious prize.

 

Smiling from ear to ear, the gratified archer's mouth swung open in preparation for a hefty bite out of his newly acquired snack. Before his teeth closed down on the apple, Atlas spotted a large ship sailing across the water in his peripheral vision. He noted that it seemed to be on a course from the islands of the bay, allowing him to conclude that it must contain travelers on official business, most likely concerning the recent virus outbreak that has been plaguing the land. This epidemic was the main topic of conversation back home, but the disease never reached his town so he could never validate its existence or ubiquity. With his curiosity and anxiety surrounding the contagious menace increasing, he stowed the apple, picked up his provisions, and set off for the port town that the ship was headed for. The determined explorer had found what he was looking for: a goal. This goal was to find more information on this mysterious threat, and do whatever he can to aid in defeating it.


wariotime_small.png
 

#6 Ninja Penguin

Ninja Penguin
  • Howl's Moving Luxury Condo

  • Members
  • 650 posts
  • Location:Yes

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

At the call of "land ho," Eliza paces belowdecks, once again armed, armored, and fit for battle after a few days of peace at sea.

 

...Well, relative peace. She shoots a furtive glance at a restless Admiral -- the draft horse having no part of the "restful" aspect of sea travel, nickering and fidgeting in a penned-off section of the galley -- but then again, the purpose of the trip was hardly for R&R. Eliza, just as on-edge, produces a thin whetstone and sits by Admiral's pen, attending to her weapons to pass the time.

 

As the ship is moored and unloaded, both horse and cavalier are among the first down the gangplank, standing guard while the rest of the decidedly ragtag team gets situated.


Posted Image
A spritefic.

#7 Rentok

Rentok
    Uber
  • Genius, but Insane

  • Uber
  • 2,557 posts
  • Location:Earth. No, really.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

Upon reaching land, Alandra quickly decides to take Tempest out for some exercise, and a look around town- from a bird's eye view.



#8 Lune

Lune
    Uber
  • Manonman

  • Uber
  • 2,876 posts
  • Location:The Breadbasket of Canada

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

All had been well in the tavern; the lights not too dim nor too bright, the atmosphere as always, and everyone kept to their own business.

 

But the peace would not be kept.

 

An earth-shattering slam heralded the entrance of a newcomer, attracting all eyes towards the one who dared disturb the establishment. Bold, blue eyes fearlessly scanned the tavern of burly men, scrutinizingly and intimidatingly. A defiant and challenging pout scowl was set in place on who seemed to be the foreigner's lips. With a snap of her wrist and an outstretched objection-like pose with her arm, she stood her ground and gave her bellowed demand, sneering with a disdainful gaze.

 

2yyo17n.jpg

 

"All right, you Aescu Lapians... Who're the dastards who barricaded all the the exits to this stinking place? I got places to g—I mean, this is injustice to the people!" There was a slight stammer in her speech, but she continued on regardless; only the sharpest eye could have seen the waver in her still-outstretched arm. "They deserve the right to do their traveling and whatnot! I know the boss is here somewhere, so come out and answer me!"

 

At the entrance of the door, where the afternoon sun that flooded through enveloped her like a halo of righteousness, stood a mercenary woman of a respectable stature no less than 5'1".

 

She was a girl who whose eyes could win a staring match with Death itself.


I missed this sig.


Posted Image

MC i love you.

<3

#9 Toku

Toku
    Administrator
  • angstwrangler

  • Administrators
  • 1,899 posts
  • Location:corners

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

There's a slight creak of chairs as a burly blonde man stands - easily seven feet tall. He glowers at her. "How in th'hell did you get in, girl?..." Toting what looks like a massive serrated sword, he walks towards her with slow, thumping steps. "Some group o' government pansies passed through here not half a day ago... an' scuttlebutt says a new ship just pulled in. We're set t'collect our share of Sal'vairan taxes from her stores, sharin' the wealth." He narrows his eyes, sniffing loudly, phlegm audible. "An' if you know what's good for you, you'll keep your head down 'til we're done." His hand moves to his sword. "I ain't got much patience for little lost lambs, girl. Get out an' go home."



#10 shrub

shrub
  • Advanced Member

  • Members
  • 411 posts
  • Location:Ontario

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Pillows of smoke slowly streaming from chimneys and the distant sounds of people working, conversing and celebrating made it apparent to Atlas that this town had a steady heartbeat indeed.

 

Before deciding what action to take next, Atlas knew that he was in dire need of rest after his long journey. As he was walking through town, the keen traveler noticed a tavern near the docks that was particularly lively; the clamor of drunken, beefy men suggested he not enter. He cringed slightly as the overbearing stench of brew and masculine sweat became apparent, before quickly dismissing this thought from his mind and focusing his attention on the nearest inn.

 

Rested, his olive eyes alight in search of adventure, Atlas made his way through the bustling city while wondering at the arid peaks that lay ahead. While making his way towards the docks hoping to meet up with the ship, he sensed an absence of noise existing near the tavern he had spotted earlier. When the archer shifted his body in the direction of the sonic vacancy, he was able to see that there seemed to be a very small, feminine figure standing in the relatively large doorway. The adventurer's strong sense of empathy beckoned him forward as he could hear a rugged, boisterous voice break the silence.

 

"... ain't got much patience for little lost lambs, girl. Get out an' go home."

 

In his cautious approach, Atlas became aware of the fact that the brave challenger; now confirmed to be an adolescent, female swordsman; had found herself in an altercation with a hulking tavern-goer. He had an immediate sense of endearment and respect for the young woman's daring fortitude (evident from her firm, foolhardy stance and radiating confidence), while most likely ill-considered. When he was close enough for his significantly longer shadow to be cast beside the girl's onto the ale-soaked wooden planks, the noticeably apprehensive archer came to realize that all agitated eyes (belonging to a herd of intoxicated mammoths nearly twice his size) were fixated on him. His feeble heart dropped.

 

With a shaking hand, Atlas gripped his bow. He was prepared to do what he could to defend himself and the new-found stranger, as futile as these efforts would be.


wariotime_small.png
 

#11 Andmcmuffin2

Andmcmuffin2
  • Certainly not a Veteran

  • Members
  • 588 posts
  • Location:255.255.255.255.256

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

Davis stumbles off the ship, having only just gotten his sea-legs in the last hours of the voyage. As he finally makes it onto the docks, he steadies himself with his staff. "I think I need a drink. Do you need a drink?" He asks idly, looking for someone he might be able to push his tab on. Unfortunately for the cavalier, she's at the base of the gangplank in some well-maintained and polished armor. "Eliza! How about we head to the tavern?" The priest tries to point to the tavern with his staff, but almost falls over in the process. "Something stiff to get us used to land again."


Posted Image

#12 Lune

Lune
    Uber
  • Manonman

  • Uber
  • 2,876 posts
  • Location:The Breadbasket of Canada

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Reina couldn't help but stare unblinkingly as the hulking beast of a man made his way towards her. Each slow and heavy step he made echoed an excited beat of anticipation in her chest, and it took everything within the sixteen year-old girl to restrain the corners of her mouth from turning... Upwards.

Had the burly, blonde man been a bit more upstanding, he would have been the exact sort of husband Reina had in mind for the taking. A respectable height two feet taller than her, a well-set and nicely-squared jaw, piercingly sharp and scrutinizing eyes, bulging and rippling muscles that could tear limbs apart... Even his sword—one she couldn't help but envy—matched his powerful form, mighty and awe-inspiring if not the terrifying she craved. Reina had to admit, he made a fine specimen worthy of a husky and guttural hubba. Her heart gradually began to pound faster with excitement. Aside from that congestion that obviously needed some clearing up, he was everything she wanted and more. Far exceeding of her expectations, perhaps he could even match her father in hand-to-hand combat.

He was, without a doubt, a man's man.

But Reina was no fool, nor would she be so easily seduced by this fine specimen of a man; they were mortal enemies standing in opposition to one another whose potential love could never be smiled upon by fate. One would be destined to fall, while the other would walk away—chin poised high—with only memories of this fateful day to distantly look back on. It was a cruel disappointment that she came so close only to come so far, but it was a harsh truth she knew she had to swallow. She grasped at the hilt of her sword at her side and, for the briefest moment, closed her eyes to collect the inner turmoil she felt. When she opened them again, she unsheathed her sword in a flash, defiantly pointing it directly at the man, her azure eyes deadly calm and serious and almost completely unaware of the newcomer she nearly cut by accident.

Keep her head down? Never!

"I am not a lamb, but Reina Ortiz, daughter of the war hero Ibrahim Ortiz!" Upon finally noticing the comrade by her side, she patted his back with surprising strength, encouraging him to take an extra step or two into the fray. "As long as there is righteousness in the world, we will never let thieving scallywags like you get away with this!"

Though in truth, she really did just want to get out of this dingy port town.


I missed this sig.


Posted Image

MC i love you.

<3

#13 Epoch_Win

Epoch_Win
  • Advanced Member

  • Members
  • 49 posts
  • Location:Between a rock and a hard place

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

(Dear god, there is absolutely no way this ends well, although whether it will end badly for her or everyone else in the bar I've yet to determine.)


Try out League of Legends!

http://signup.league...17ea79946284253

 

19.jpg

 


#14 Lune

Lune
    Uber
  • Manonman

  • Uber
  • 2,876 posts
  • Location:The Breadbasket of Canada

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

(Shhh. Don't jinx me. I'm depending on Toku to get my kid out alive.)


I missed this sig.


Posted Image

MC i love you.

<3

#15 shrub

shrub
  • Advanced Member

  • Members
  • 411 posts
  • Location:Ontario

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

Had the burly, blonde man been a bit more upstanding, he would have been the exact sort of husband Reina had in mind for the taking. A respectable height two feet taller than her, a well-set and nicely-squared jaw, piercingly sharp and scrutinizing eyes, bulging and rippling muscles that could tear limbs apart... Even his sword—one she couldn't help but envy—matched his powerful form, mighty and awe-inspiring if not the terrifying she craved. Reina had to admit, he made a fine specimen worthy of a husky and guttural hubba. Her heart gradually began to pound faster with excitement. Aside from that congestion that obviously needed some clearing up, he was everything she wanted and more. Far exceeding of her expectations, perhaps he could even match her father in hand-to-hand combat.

He was, without a doubt, a man's man.

 

(I just have to point out that I love this.)

 

Before Atlas could muster up words that might prevent his untimely death, the audacious girl unsheathed a large blade with astonishing dexterity that would have likely put his right kidney on display if he had not moved as quickly as he did. Now jarred and slightly irritated because of the potentially fatal situation the stranger had created, he desperately made another attempt to put a word in but was interrupted once more. The seemingly foolish young lady had exclaimed a battle cry of sorts that, most importantly, allowed Atlas to learn of her identity. She then proceeded to physically usher him forward before shouting once more and (very dramatically) implying that the pair of novices were to engage in battle with these "scallywags".

 

"Uh, hello Reina, I'm Atlas. It's nice to meet you and all, but I must be blunt: are you ill?!"


wariotime_small.png
 

#16 Lune

Lune
    Uber
  • Manonman

  • Uber
  • 2,876 posts
  • Location:The Breadbasket of Canada

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

Glad that she was acknowledged by this admirably willing comrade in justice, she quickly cast him a wild and cheerful smile. This was a joyous day indeed; the adrenaline pumping in her veins and the prospect of a thrilling skirmish of warriors of this foreign land sent shivers down her spine, and she was just itching to stab her sword into something. There was pleasure in having one's sword plunge deep and feel whatever was beneath it to yield and give way, after all. "Ill", he asked? She would only be ill if she chose to deny this path!

"Nope!" Reina chirped merrily, already feeling deprived from action. "I'm in tip top condition! Come, Atlas; let us fight a glorious battle in which we walk away from the destruction triumphant, or die as heroes!"


I missed this sig.


Posted Image

MC i love you.

<3

#17 DarkNight

DarkNight
    Veteran
  • Nothing is free, only permitted.

  • Veterans
  • 1,015 posts
  • Location:Youngsville.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

(lol yea good luck with that XD)


Posted Image


Posted Image


#18 shrub

shrub
  • Advanced Member

  • Members
  • 411 posts
  • Location:Ontario

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

(Yeah, I have no idea how this is going to work out. *Waits for Superman to burst through the door*)


wariotime_small.png
 

#19 Lune

Lune
    Uber
  • Manonman

  • Uber
  • 2,876 posts
  • Location:The Breadbasket of Canada

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

(Oh, relax. Worst case scenario, we get KO'd and have to wait a few turns to revive, lol. Let's just wait for that dashingly congested seven foot tall man to reply.)
I missed this sig.


Posted Image

MC i love you.

<3

#20 Ninja Penguin

Ninja Penguin
  • Howl's Moving Luxury Condo

  • Members
  • 650 posts
  • Location:Yes

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:10 AM

Davis stumbles off the ship, having only just gotten his sea-legs in the last hours of the voyage. As he finally makes it onto the docks, he steadies himself with his staff. "I think I need a drink. Do you need a drink?" He asks idly, looking for someone he might be able to push his tab on. Unfortunately for the cavalier, she's at the base of the gangplank in some well-maintained and polished armor. "Eliza! How about we head to the tavern?" The priest tries to point to the tavern with his staff, but almost falls over in the process. "Something stiff to get us used to land again."

Eliza frowns, half-leaning on her lance, listening to the commotion coming from the tavern building -- not exactly the object of Davis's intent, but attention-getting nonetheless. She ties off Admiral to one of the dock posts, straightening. "Sounds like local commotion. Strictly speaking, not our problem." She shoulders her lance, glares toward the tavern, and sighs. "Loosely speaking, however, I could do with some heads to crack. After you."


Posted Image
A spritefic.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users