• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shrub

shrub
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

I've been flip-flopping a lot on this topic lately. Sometimes I take the stance that you like whatever music you like and that's that, but then I notice myself finding certain music cringe-worthy after enjoying it for many years. I don't want to discount anyone's musical tastes, as I feel it is 100% subjective, but I can't help but notice that some music I listen to sounds more mature or esoteric than other stuff.

For example, The Devil Wears Prada has been one of my favourite bands for the past few years, and I feel like they sort of 'grew up' with me. I feel like I grow out of the more angsty style of their previous album, and then fall in love with them again, once they come out with a more 'mature' release.

What do you guys think?

wariotime_small.png

#2 Leo

Leo
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • Location:At the end of a rainbow...damn leprechauns took my gold!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

i've noticed this with a lot of music actually. greenday is a good example(i used to like them, but their more recent releases have been godawful) if you look at the differences between the album dookie and one of their new ones you'll see that they have been progressing more and more towards what is considered good music by today's general population. or you could look at AFI who used to be a straight up punk band, and now leans more towards pop-punk. but on a personal level i tend to stick around hard-rock, and punk, along with a mix of phil collins, the occasional metal band, and a little bit of everything else that isn't country, rap, or all that other crap people seem to think is good. sure the artists are talented, but that doesn't stop the music from being bad.

This is FEEF

We don't have nachos

We have fruitcake.

#3 shrub

shrub
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:42 AM

...sure the artists are talented, but that doesn't stop the music from being bad.

This is where I disagree with you. I've said this before and I'll always say it: bad music does not exist. Like I said, music is matter of opinion; if I say the sound of a waterfall is music, then it's music, and it's good music to me. No question.

wariotime_small.png

#4 Leo

Leo
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • Location:At the end of a rainbow...damn leprechauns took my gold!

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:05 AM

and it's good music to me.

this is exactly my point though; it's good music to you. other people may not feel that way so it isn't good music to them. beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

This is FEEF

We don't have nachos

We have fruitcake.

#5 HeavyBrawlsGuy

HeavyBrawlsGuy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:11 AM

Last year, the exact same thing happened with platformer games. Now I hate them. You know what, I hate everything.

#6 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:29 AM

I think it's just phases, and we may tend to look at some bands or musicians as less mature because we associate them with our own youth. and especially since some bands or musicians have a style that appeals more to a younger, less mature crowd, we end up feeling divorced from it later on. the first band i ever had a strong liking for was Aerosmith when I was around 10 years old. Nowadays i've VERY rarely in the mood to ever listen to an Aerosmith song, and it's not even a maturity thing. But something about their music can feel immature to me, and I think it's just because of associating it with that period of my life.

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#7 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:20 AM

idk bros, I've recently developed a taste for bands I listened to in 8th grade.

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#8 DarkNight

DarkNight
    Veteran
  • Nothing is free, only permitted.

• Veterans
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

One cannot deny the mighty morphin rangers theme song. Even tho I have come to dislike the show.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Erif

Erif
    Uber
  • Who the hell is Vi?

• Uber
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

I think it's just phases, and we may tend to look at some bands or musicians as less mature because we associate them with our own youth.

this. some of the earliest music I listened to by myself (that is, not my parents' music) I can't stand anymore, i.e. John Mayer. Then there are bands like The Gorillaz, which I just recently came back to but stopped listening to for a long period of time. But I would say my first phase of music listening, that is, the first music I started listening to when I really go into music, was classic rock. At the time I was convinced the only good music out there was made before the 80s (my idea of the 80s being solely hair bands, my idea of the 90s being bad pop... oh my twelve year old self), and the 60s/70s folk, rock, and soul/R&B was the place to go for really good music (Except for rap; I was convinced that the only good rap was 00s underground stuff, and some old school albums like Illmatic and The Score). Now, mind you this is before I realized that there is a great deal of good music being made nowadays, it's just not what the majority of people would call "popular music." But yeah, I really got into bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, etc., and I mean really go into them. I actually look fondly back at this, because I rarely get into bands this much nowadays. I mean, I've listened to Pink Floyd's Animals so goddamn much; I would just walk back and forth in my room and jam out to that shit (and I'm an album guy, so Pink Floyd really meshed with me). Same with Led Zeppelin, I ate up their entire discography. But yeah, I don't really listen to them that much anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's not like John Mayer where just the sound of him makes me cringe, I still think the music is great. But I just don't listen to it much. I think part of the reason is that I'm listening to so much more new stuff nowadays: current bands, but I'm also finally getting into 80s/90s underground, 80s punk, etc., that I haven't really put aside time for my old flings. But yeah, not much else to say on the matter.

Posted Image
_______
Quotes?

Alright, I'm tired of mind games. Which one of you two is the mom and which one's the dad? The dad would be the one that shoved the sperm into the other guys ass and pulled it out of the uterus.- BBB

To protect the forum from devastation.
To unite all members through masturbation
To denounce the evils of necroposting and spam
To avoid the swine flu while we eat ham
KREVIN
DAVE
FEEF ROCKET BLASTING OFF AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT
SURRENDER NOW OR PREPARE TO FACE A SIMILAR FATE TO THAT OF ALPHATEHLIGHT

#10 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

but I'm also finally getting into 80s/90s underground, 80s punk, etc.

:DDD

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 13 user(s)