4 replies to this topic

#1 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

I dunno if I ever mentioned it here before, but wondering if anyone else has techniques to help maximize their XP in PoR? I happen to be doing a playthrough in order to make a new save for my RD games, as I only have 1 at the moment. I have played through PoR a lot of times, though, and I have a pretty particular method of trying to get some extra XP.

Specifically, I do Ena training. Now I don't know, this might be something that is widely practiced, but I figured it out meself. The idea is that there are some elements which prevent unlimited XP which are lessened significantly by the Ena fight in Nevassa.

1. Once you've reached the boss chamber, you clear everyone except her healers, surrounding them with unarmed units if necessary (switching all of their carried weapons with someone who doesnt use the same kind as them, so all of the weapons are available but they cannot counterattack if the bishops use light magic on them instead of healing Ena)

2. Attack Ena with your units to gain good amounts of XP, but don't kill her. Allow her to throne heal herself (As she does every turn, better than any other boss due to her special ability which heals more) 

3. Train units up as far as desired

4. Profit.

It's more complicated than it seems. For this kind of extensive training session, you need a ton of healing staves. You also need a ton of weapons to use in training, so everyone has to come stuffed. To get the treasure in the level, you'll also need to bring a thief - so that's one slot used up. Also, Ena's critical rate is low, but existent. So all training candidates have to have enough crit avoid to reduce those odds to 0, or you're taking on an unacceptable risk. Believe me, if you were hours into a training session and halfway done training your squad, you'd consider it unacceptable to lose a unit to a freak Ena crit. For the same reasons, you want to avoid accidentally killing Ena - so if Ike already has Aether, he probably wants to train against her last. He's probably gonna kill her. Other skills need to be taken into account too - bear in mind what your crit damage will be if you have a chanc eof critting her, and don't allow her health to get low enough to die from one. Also be aware of units with Adept, as they can freak out and hit her 4 times instead of two. If they have decent odds of critting, training them can be very dangerous.

What I do (since I never have her stats on hand) is go to the stage, enter battle, take note of her stats, and then reload and plan accordingly. This is important because you want to try to bring weapons for training against her that do as little damage to her as possible, so multiple units can smack her each turn and train faster. This training is particularly nice for bow users, as they don't have to worry about a counterattack at all - but they have to be pretty accurate, Ena can dodge. That's another complication: Ena's weapon has unlimited uses, so you'll never be able to safely attack her from an adjacent square without a counterattack. In order for units to even be viable for training here, they have to have been raised to a particular caliber. So this is sort of a training session you prepare all game for.

Like I said, for all I know this might be a really common strategy. But I was wondering, does anyone else have particular training strategies they use in PoR/RD to get as many units maxed as possible?

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#2 Krevin except a lot cooler

Krevin except a lot cooler
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

I use a similar strategy in any FE game whenever I don't have access to an arena. Narrow the enemies down until it's just a throned boss, bring up my highest def unit (carrying a rescued unit when possible, so lower avo) without weapons to tank hits until the bosses weapon breaks. Then attack with a weak unit, wait for the boss to heal back everything, attack, wait for him to heal, attack, wait, attack, wait and keep repeating until the unit attacking is so strong I'll end up getting a kill if I don't stop.

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#3 DarkNight

DarkNight
    Veteran
  • Nothing is free, only permitted.

• Veterans
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

I just make sure ppl don't die lol if they do I reload.

I usually just go by levels and try to keep them even.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

Well Krevin, the reason I brought this up related to PoR is because there are very few bosses in PoR which heal themselves every turn like that, and none but Ena offer other factors which help in training. So she's kind of a special case.

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#5 Krevin except a lot cooler

Krevin except a lot cooler
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:00 AM

Oh I didn't even realize. I haven't played PoR in a long time, and only played through once.

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users