Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:48 AM

and by that i mean completely fucking believable:

http://abcnews.go.co.../story?id=95836

TLDR: our armed public servants here in the US are intentionally of only mediocre intelligence. why? i'll give you one guess. spoiler: the answer is money

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#2 byoxxyl

byoxxyl
    Deity
  • Did you mean: boxxy?

• Deity
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

This is sort of depressing. For one, IQ tests are arbitrary static levels of intelligence, which is a fluid concept that isn't really properly measurable. For two, the policy of the department is to only accept those who score a middle area, 20-27 score for all officers. That's such an unfortunate arbitrary number, considering the test goes up to at least 33. It's unfortunate that they wouldn't even accept him for potentially grooming him for a management position. If he leaves he leaves, but if he proves in other respects that he'd make an excellent officer, let him be a god damned police officer.

I guess I can take some solace in the fact that "The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average." You'd hope for Best and Brightest, but at least the average police officer is still technically above national intelligence.

NightAttheByoxxbury.gif

#3 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

When your IQ is that close to double digits, I really think "barely above average" is a stretch. But still, IQ is indeed a pretty lame measurement tool. We try to see intelligence as a two-dimensional thing, but wisdom should be considered a form of intelligence. There are a lot of people with low IQs who are... smart. And lots of high IQ people who can't understand some basic real world concepts.

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#4 Krevin except a lot cooler

Krevin except a lot cooler
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

104 is literally barely above average, considering IQ is based off of a static average, so that a person's score is dynamic in comparison to the average of 100. But what really bugs me is that they didn't even pick a rational cutoff. I mean yes it is completely unreasonable and preposterous to deny somebody a job based off of their intelligence, but cutting off before 125 is silly. Studies show that abnormal cognitive development and nonstandard mental activity, in relation to intelligence, seldom show up until beyond 2 standard deviations away from the average IQ, with the current standard deviation being 15. That means 85-115 is gonna be HELLA normal, 116-130 is gonna be just your smart people (bright, straight As, love extra credit, overachievers, perfect kids), your 131-145s are the first area of concern (the official title for this range is "gifted", this is where you see hindered social skills and over-excitabilities come into play, emotional instability is common, as well as a lot of cognitive developmental disorders such as. ADHD and dyslexia), then your 146-160s are even more likely to not be cut out for the job ("highly gifted" which usually comes with a slue of disorders like ADHD and dyslexia, ands at an even higher risk of social disabilities, such as autism/aspergers, and social anxiety). 161+ is genius range and fuuuuuuck that shit real geniuses are weird.

TLDR they're setting the bar wayyyyyy too low to pretend that there's logic to their discrimination if 125s can't get in.

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#5 byoxxyl

byoxxyl
    Deity
  • Did you mean: boxxy?

• Deity
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

I like to imagine that there was this one asshole who scored a 28 and somebody just made up this rule on the spot because they didn't want to have to deal with him and somehow it just... caught on. 

That's literally the only explanation I can come up with that isn't just "people are stupid and now this happened."

NightAttheByoxxbury.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users