#1 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:39 AM

So, I haven't given up on my game development ideas. Although I haven't been posting about it here, I've been slowly working on my game engine. The core engine code is actually at a pretty advanced stage after three years of screwing around and adding to it when I've been bored.

Over at GSARland, I've been working on a Golden Sun/Pokemon hybrid thing. The code is a lot more advanced than it looks right now, but unfortunately it takes forever to actually make an interactive game out of that code, and of course I have very limited time.

djinn2.gif

If I have a few hours over the next few weeks, I might see if I can put together a FE style battle example. Since the battle code itself is modular and different stats/formulas can easily be added, it's coding in the interface/user interaction and animations that will take the most time.

idk, maybe more people will be interested in contributing to a game project if I have a tech demo of sorts to show?

Basically what I'm saying is I want people to make my game for me. help pls

I'm not sure if I want to try to create a Fire Emblem simulator, but a tactical onlineRPG with a similar (but better) battle system and a cool tactical battle map? And as it's browser-based, it'll run on phones as well, which is all the rage these days. Sounds fun.

#2 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

everything is more complex than it looks. and it looks pretty damn nice.

my suggestion? don't bother with a fire emblem simulator. or anything that copies the style of anything else. you've put in a lot of time and effort to make this yourself, so let's make the best of it. use it to make something completely original that is influenced by other things, but stands alone. 

i think doing so will also help keep people interested in working on the project. i'm open to contributing, though i think it goes without saying that a plan has to be in place for what we'd want to accomplish, what we want the end result to be, which components to put together in which order. if multiple people are working on the same elements, they should be organized into teams. 

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#3 Leo

Leo
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Location:At the end of a rainbow...damn leprechauns took my gold!

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

Zac would like to go into contribute mode at some point. I can help with sprites, and if you want a story at some point I love to write, so I'm your huckleberry.

This is FEEF

We don't have nachos

We have fruitcake.

#4 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

Yeah, something completely original is the way to go. That said, I don't think it would take too much effort to create something in the engine out of that FE old battle calculator, so I'm still going to look into going that far at least. From there, we'll see.

i think it goes without saying that a plan has to be in place for what we'd want to accomplish, what we want the end result to be, which components to put together in which order. if multiple people are working on the same elements, they should be organized into teams. 

Aye, I think that's what I need help with most at the moment - coming up with the initial ideas, game design, and organising/managing the project. I have lots of ideas that I think would work really well, but I know that I'm never going to be a great game designer, so I'm going to need to rely on other people to help in the planning process.

Overall, the main limiting factors will definitely be the assets - art, sound, and all of the text-based game content. "Professionally" produced graphical assets are ridiculously expensive and are pretty much off the table, but I'm open to putting some money into the project on that front.

#5 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:27 PM

i think itll be best not to worry about that. by the time you need those things to get started everything else should already be planned and underway. many of us here (myself included) can work on graphical assets (technically, i DO have a degree in graphic design) and you should only really end up considering paying for assets that we can't handle. best to find out what those are before worrying about it. you could even consider portions of the artwork being hand drawn instead of pixel art, which would speed things up considerably.

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#6 Karino

Karino
    Veteran
  • embarrassing myself on the regular

• Veterans
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

My graphics design skills are far from great, but if there's another way I can help, I'd love to.

send help

#7 XX++Archangel__Darkangel//

XX++Archangel__Darkangel//
    Veteran
  • Advanced Member

• Veterans
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:53 PM

I never came up with an idea for how to make tactical battles neither infinite nor session based.

#8 Lune

Lune
    Uber
  • Manonman

• Uber
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:04 AM

Looks really good, but I'm afraid my coding skills aren't sharp enough for something super advanced. Out of curiosity, what programming language does your code use?

I missed this sig.

Posted Image

MC i love you.

<3

#9 XX++Archangel__Darkangel//

XX++Archangel__Darkangel//
    Veteran
  • Advanced Member

• Veterans
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

POPULAR

fyi I'm a seasoned professional software developer now. I got some pepper on myself at lunch today.

#10 Lune

Lune
    Uber
  • Manonman

• Uber
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:04 AM

Nowai! I'm also seasoned. I'm salty everyday.

I missed this sig.

Posted Image

MC i love you.

<3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users