#1 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html

So this site is hella interesting. Basically, some dudes wrote up a computer program that sorted a shit ton of music into a shit ton of genres, and then mapped those genres out. Genres further to the top are more mechanical and electronic, while genres closer to the bottom are more organic. To the left of the map is more atmospheric/ambient, to the right is more direct. There's 1382 genres listed so there's a lot to explore.

You can click on a genre to hear an example of it, or click the arrow next to the genre to see a map of bands in that genre. From there you can click on a band to hear a sample of them, or an arrow next to them to see them in spotify. Bands are mapped the same way as genres.

You can also search for a band and it will tell you which genre they are categorized as.

It's hella interesting because it figures it all out based on patterns that occur within individual genres, based on like sound frequencies and shit, and also patterns in song titles.

Anyways, maybe some of you will find this as cool as I do.

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#2 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:12 PM

was browsing around and saw "gauze pop" and i said "wow thats a weird fuckin name. never heard of that shit." clicked the name. "that sounds weird." google "gauze pop". The only relevant result was every noise at once. um... how many of these genres did they just pull out of their ass?

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#3 DarkNight

DarkNight
    Veteran
  • Nothing is free, only permitted.

• Veterans
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:41 AM

I think all the genre's are generated and powered by the FEELS engine.

It would've been nice how they catagorized and gave a definition to their made up genre's

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Moonstruck Timberwolf

Moonstruck Timberwolf
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

Why is all the metal on the ambient side of the grid?

Welcome to our little slice of paradise. Do stay awhile, fun times await.

More like slice of fruitcake, no one wants it.

#5 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:01 PM

If you scroll all the way down it explains a little more of how it decides all of this. What I want to know is where they got all the names of the genres because yeah, there are ones like gauze-pop that barely exist. After googling "gauze pop" music I was able to see enough results to believe that they didn't just make the name up, but it isn't a very commonly used term. Like, at all. There's also a genre called Heavy Christmas, and if that was a substantial genre I wouldn't listen to anything else. But I think that one is just bands that have put out Christmas songs/albums.

I was confused about metal being on the left side as well but I think it's because metal maintains presence in a large frequency range at any given time (multiple instruments playing with plenty of feedback and distortion, etc.) while things on the right side tend to have more of a restricted range where they're only showing up in a small amount of frequencies at any given time.

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#6 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:39 PM

i think so. i noticed one of the ones all the way to the right was just german people talking.

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#7 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:02 AM

To the left of the map is more atmospheric/ambient
"power metal"
"death metal"
"brutal death metal"
"technical death metal"
"grindcore"
"screamo"

etc.

The black metal genres belong on that side since they tend to be "atmospheric", but as for the rest... I think the computer is a little confused.

#8 XX++Archangel__Darkangel//

XX++Archangel__Darkangel//
    Veteran
  • Advanced Member

• Veterans
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:50 PM

They probably used how noisy and how much the overall volume varies as a proxy for ambience. Metal tends to have a lot of sound at all times, so it all ends up over there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users