#501 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:43 PM

So, with school starting back up, and a having a full schedule things have been... different, And with the less communication things slowly felt more and more different. But we have plans to meet up this weekend, and I'm going to surprise her tonight by showing up late to still see her for her birthday. So, we'll see how everything goes/feels this weekend... but I'm not holding my breath... so yea.

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Wolff should've been reclassed to squirrel.

Posted Image

#502 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:40 PM

POPULAR

Oof. I hope it alll works (worked?) out okay, man. 

IT'S SNOWING IN LAS VEGAS!! I know compared to the colder climates, we're still not seeing that much snow, but considering the last ~real~ snow we got in Vegas was over 10 years ago, it's pretty exciting. I really love it, I forgot how much I missed cold weather. I slipped a few times trying to clean all the snow off of my car today, and I'm not even mad.

I'm nearing the end of school, which is exciting and terrifying at the same time. I've got about 10 weeks left, and most of my classes are easy but in Senior Design we're super behind now (or, more specifically, I'm super behind) so I need to put in a lot of work to get our project up to speed. That's really the only thing I'm worried about as far as school goes this semester, but I also need to start looking for jobs. It's just hard when I've hit a point where I really don't know what I want to do with my life anymore, right before graduating college. I'll figure it out, though. As of right now, I think drafting/CAD work is probably what I'm going to end up pursuing for a career. It fits really well with, like, the way my brain works, because I have ADHD so the only way I can really focus on anything is if I start hyperfocusing and sorta block out everything else in the world and then I become like super productive at one thing, which can be a huge roadblock with a lot of things in life but is FANTASTIC in CAD because I find it really easy to hyperfocus on CAD and I can make a whole day go by so fast.

As far as classes go, most of mine have ended up SUPER easy. Here's what I have now:

-THTR 406: CAD for Theatre, which isn't necessarily an easy class but I definitely have an aptitude for these types of programs and I'm doing really well in it. Plus it's, like, what I might end up doing with my life, so that's cool.

-EED 431: Control Systems for the Entertainment Industry, which is essentially the exact same class as a lighting system protocols class I took a couple years ago. I'd consider talking to the head of my department to try and get that other class to count as this credit, but it seems like it'll be a fun class and an easy A, so I'm not worried about it. Also there are only 3 students, myself included, in that class, and we're probably the three least punctual students in our entire department, so I'm interested to see how long it takes before there's a one person class lol

-CEE 409: Project Management for Engineering, which isn't a hard class at all, and kind of a fun class honestly. It's just the finance class I took last summer but being applied to the real world.

-EE 498: Senior Design II, which is the hard one. The saving grace is that our professor said on the first day that any team who wins an award during the senior design competition will automatically get an A, no questions asked. Each department gets a first place and second place award, as long as there are at least two projects from that department. There are only two projects from the Entertainment Engineering department, which means we are guaranteed to get either first place or second place. That means that as long as we have a functioning project to present during senior design, we are guaranteed an A for the entire course. Which is fuckin SICK because the professor is such a dick, and very obviously hates all of the Entertainment Engineering students in the class because he knows as well as we do that we don't belong in Electrical Engineering's senior design. He gave me a B- last semester even though I did everything that needed to be done for the entire semester, so basically he can huff my nuts. 

-CEM 351: Facility System Design & Construction II, which is an online class about electrical work in buildings. This is the third online Construction Management class I've taken, and the way that it works out is that the professor gives us a whole bunch of homework and tests that aren't built off of the material he presents to us, so nobody does well on anything because how could you possibly pass a test when you weren't taught any of the materials, and then he curves the hell out of all the grades so that it's nearly impossible to fail his class. Last class I took from him (which was about plumbing and water systems in buildings) I ended up with a B+, even though before the curve I never got more than an F on any assignment. I'm feeling extra good about this semester because I actually understand some of the content we're going over, because in engineering you actually learn about electricity, so I might be able to pull off an A in this class. 

-EED 400: Seminar, which is a pointless class but w/e. I can show up Friday mornings and listen to the same guest speakers I've heard a thousand times for an easy A.

-EED 491: Internship for Live Entertainment, which isn't actually a class, I just have to write an essay before the end of the semester recapping the internship I did for the church before I came back to school. I'll probably knock that out over spring break. I've also heard that people have written the essay as short as like 3 or 4 pages and still gotten an A, so super low stakes here.

Which means all I have left to do:
-THTR 406: Keep showing up, 3 more small projects that can probably all be done in class. (I might finish the next project today, even though it isn't due until 3/7)

-EED 431: Keep showing up, 10 more small homework assignments.

-CEE 409: Keep showing up, 2 big homework assignments (first one is almost done), a midterm, and a final.

-EE 498: Finish coding the project. Some paperwork. Present the project during the senior design competition.

-CEM 351: 6 more homework assignments, 7 more quizzes, 3 exams. I'm gonna try and get ahead on the homework and quizzes, the exams are the only things that I can't do in advance.

-EED 400: Keep showing up.

-EED 491: 1 essay.

IT'S SO CLOSE. I'M ALMOST DONE.

Also I only have to physically go to school once during finals week. This semester peters out at the end, which is super different. I'm used to having to really buckle down during the last two weeks to finish strong but I only have one in-person final and one online final. 

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#503 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber
  • bearsbearsbearsbearsbears

• Uber
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

POPULAR

What's up guys, been a while, but I've been really busy and everything I own has been in boxes for the last few weeks.

It's official, I've started my new job as the Youth and Children's Pastor of a church. I'm typing this up from my office right now because the internet has not been connected to my house yet. I'm pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The closest major community is an almost 5 hour drive away from here, it's such a remote location (but the pay is awesome to reflect that!).

I moved in to my new house on Friday, and it's pretty decent. It's an older spot and it's got a lot of little issues (door hinges loose, cupboard handles falling off, etc.) and a lot of the rooms are totally outdated and ugly, but I can make it work.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

giphy.gif

#504 Leo

Leo
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • Location:At the end of a rainbow...damn leprechauns took my gold!

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:55 AM

things looking up? maybe? i got approved for disability, so i'm gonna be able to afford my medical bills at least lol. it's not enough to be able to live by myself, but it'll get me back into treatment, and clean up the bills i've got already.

This is FEEF

We don't have nachos

We have fruitcake.

#505 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:18 AM

That's great, Leo! Even if it doesn't solve everything, it's good that you'll finally have your medical bills covered. Those things can get crazy!

Mav, congrats on the new job! Being 5 hours from any major community, does that mean you're out in a bunch of farmland, or... ? Also keep us updated on how the house comes together, that's exciting!

#506 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:38 PM

It's a small fishing community actually. Or used to be, back when the fishing was still lucrative here. I'm actually pretty close to a Viking Historical sight, this is the last community before you hit the park. So currently the town runs almost entirely on tourism in the summers.

It's still the dead of winter here, and the harshest winter they've had in years, they tell me. There's not much running right now, just enough stores and service stations for the community to live on. Once the snow melts and the tourism blows up there's probably twice as many business that will open up.

It'll be really awesome to live here in the spring/summer, it's a gorgeous place right out on the coast. I grew up living near a bay, but having the open ocean right outside your window is really amazing, I have to say.

My very first day here I woke up to a text from the lead pastor saying there's a polar bear spotted wandering around town, so everybody is advised to stay indoors. Apparently there were a couple guys prepping seal skins and that must have attracted the bear. It was really eye-opening to just how remote of a location I'm in.

I'm going to enjoy it here though. Winter is tough, there's so much snow here now that all of the windows in the house are buried in, but once spring hits I'll be able to get out and do a few things. There's tons of good trails for hiking/biking and everywhere is ponds rivers and open water, so I'll be able to start kayaking again.

giphy.gif

#507 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

Every time I'm reminded of this place and decide to check it out, I'm always worried I'll type in the address just to see that the site has been shut down.  Makes me happy to think that this May is 11 years since I joined and despite the inactivity, it's still got a faint pulse.

Nearly lost my left hand a few weeks back; cut the back of my hand on a broken beer bottle while bartending and ended up developing severe cellulitis.  Whole hand swelled up to look like the fuckin' hand balloon from spongebob.  Went to the ER one day when the swelling was still relatively minor, sent me home on a low dose antibiotic.  Ended up having to go back two days later for surgery after it tripled in size; apparently if I waited another day I could have lost the hand/dealt with the infection spreading to my bloodstream.  Instead all I have is a nasty scar, so consider that bullet dodged.

Aside from that I'm doing great, and I hope whoever is still here is doin' great as well <3

Posted Image

#508 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:43 AM

Every time I'm reminded of this place and decide to check it out, I'm always worried I'll type in the address just to see that the site has been shut down.  Makes me happy to think that this May is 11 years since I joined and despite the inactivity, it's still got a faint pulse.

Nearly lost my left hand a few weeks back; cut the back of my hand on a broken beer bottle while bartending and ended up developing severe cellulitis.  Whole hand swelled up to look like the fuckin' hand balloon from spongebob.  Went to the ER one day when the swelling was still relatively minor, sent me home on a low dose antibiotic.  Ended up having to go back two days later for surgery after it tripled in size; apparently if I waited another day I could have lost the hand/dealt with the infection spreading to my bloodstream.  Instead all I have is a nasty scar, so consider that bullet dodged.

Aside from that I'm doing great, and I hope whoever is still here is doin' great as well <3

Damn, that's crazy, glad you kept your hand and dodged that bullet, glad everything else is going great too.

Life for me has simmered back down and become more of a normal routine again. While that's not necessarily a complaint, it's definitely not something I'm enthusiastic about either. lol.

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Wolff should've been reclassed to squirrel.

Posted Image

#509 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:23 PM

Bruh I swear every time you come back here you've just experienced some life-threatening situation.

Thanks for not dying tho

Love and miss you

giphy.gif

#510 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:43 PM

Frick the immortal <3 Glad you were able to save your hand man. And yeah, every time you come through you have a new wild story lmao

I just finished Spring Break. Took two midterms the week before (got an 82% on my Project Management midterm and a 98% on my Construction Management midterm) and did a BUNCH of work for Senior Design over the break. But also got sick (allergies probably) so I'm skipping some classes this week lol

So all I have left for the semester:

-Senior Design: About 15-20 hours worth of work left, maybe less. Then the Senior Design competition, which I'm admittedly pretty nervous about.

-Project Management: One more homework assignment, some in-class labs, and a final. I'm currently sitting at an 81% in there, so I can't get lazy but I should be fine.

-Construction Management: A few more homework assignments and online quizzes, and two more exams (including the final). I got a 98% on the first exam so I'm off to a good start. Just need a C or better, and I honestly don't mind if I end up dropping all the way down to a C as long as I pass.

-Internship: Still need to write my essay. Haven't even looked at it. Maybe I'll knock it out this weekend.

-CAD for Theatre: Two more projects. I'm doing really well in this class. I had to skip it today because I'm sick, and I actually regret not being able to go, which is so rare for me and school. 

-Control Systems: Keep showing up. It's now a once a week class instead of a twice a week class, and we're literally just playing with stage lights. Can't complain.

-Seminar: Literally just keep showing up. Class ended up being cancelled like 3 or 4 weeks in a row, and then I skipped the day before Spring Break, and then Spring Break happened, so I haven't been to that class in what feels like an eternity. But all I have to do is show up.

And then I'm D O N E. The end is so close. I can even go buy my cap and gown tomorrow. I'm so ready. 

I already have plans to move in with one of my friends in June. He just moved back from to town and is staying with his parents for right now, so the timing works out pretty well. Plus I ~might~ have a job lined up with an AV company in town. It would be a lot of small scale stuff, like installing equipment at storefronts and such, but it'd be a nice step up from working in coffee, and it would look a lot better on a resume. And if that doesn't work out, my boss is down to give me more hours once I'm done with school if I need to stick around while I'm looking for another job. There's currently a full time employee that I think we're trying to fire, and then our newest hire is only part time. I think my boss is waiting until I graduate so that she can fire the shitty employee so that the new guy and I can take all of that guy's shifts and both be full time. But we'll see.

TLDR even though I have no idea what I wanna do with my life and I have no long term plans, the short term is looking really promising.

#511 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:15 PM

That's awesome dude. I hope something comes along quickly that fits exactly what you're looking for.

I've settled in pretty well now. We're still absolutely buried in snow, but there haven't been any storms for the last two weeks so I'll take it.

I leave in a couple weeks to go to Ontario for my graduation, so that's something to look forward to. I'm gone for three weeks to do an intensive course, and then my ceremony. They tell me that by the time I get back, a decent amount of the snow will be melted, so that'll be sweet.

giphy.gif

#512 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:24 PM

How much snow did you guys used to get back in Ontario? Hopefully breakup season doesn't last too long for you guys out in NL this year. When I lived in Anchorage that was the part that got to me, so much more than the winter weather. But springtime up north makes it all worth it. 

#513 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

I don't know anything about the winter in Ontario, I've never actually lived there, I did all my courses online.

We got lambasted this winter in NL though. Literally in my 25 years on living here, we've never gotten this much snow. It started at the end of October, and it just kept building week after week. Christmastime we hit a mild streak and lost a lot, but then late January it started in again, and the sides of the roads here are so built up with snow that you can't see anything except the road itself. Most snowbanks here now are 12-15 feet high, it's brutal.

We've been having really beautiful weather, gorgeous sunshine and no wind, but the temperatures are still hovering between -20C to -15C, so we can't actually get anything to melt.

giphy.gif

#514 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,342 posts

Posted Today, 07:18 AM

Getting so close to graduation, but there's so much left to do. I've been basically doing homework from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed every day for the past two weeks, and it's probably gonna stay that way until the end. Anyways I typed out this long post about what I have left, then realized it's not very interesting and it's kinda repetitive. But whatever, I mostly made this post for me because I'm nervous and a little worried I won't graduate lol

Here's what I have left:

-Senior Design: As of today, I have finished every single part of the project that I was supposed to do. It's now my partner's job to physically construct the vest. All I have to do for this class now is create a posterboard (shouldn't be too hard, but I have no idea what I'm doing so we'll see) and get it printed, then get a nice haircut and a good suit for the presentation day, then we have the actual presentation for the competition, and then an award ceremony and stuff like that, and a final report. The competition itself is supposed to be the most stressful part of any undergrad engineering degree, and it's living up to that. But the hardest parts of the work are all more or less done. I didn't REALLY start until Spring Break, but I wrote over 2000 lines of code (about 50 of which were just copy/pasted because one of the components we're using needed specific serial inputs sent to it that I was unfamiliar with) in a coding language that I had barely ever used, plus I 3d modeled the housing for the microcontroller and some circuit boards, and did way more soldering than I had anticipated (to the point where I'm really confident in my ability to solder now) so I've accomplished a lot! To be specific, I've accomplished two semesters worth of work in about a months time lol

-Project Management: 4 more in-class labs (I'm definitely getting 100% on all of them) and a final. It's the only class I have to physically go to during finals week lol

-Construction Management (online): 2 more quizzes, 1 online discussion (easiest points you can possibly get), 2 more homework assignments, and a final. I'm pretty sure that, with the way he curves the grades, I'm guaranteed to pass the class even if I completely bomb the final, but I'm gonna put in a little bit of effort anyways just to make sure. But I'm perfectly content if I end up getting just a C in that class. 

-CAD for Theatre: We might have another small project, but the project we just did was the big one, which was kind of in lieu of a final exam, so from here it's just coasting. I really like this class, it's taught by my favorite professor and it's something I really enjoy doing and learning about. 

-Show Control Systems: I'm pretty sure everyone is just gonna get an A in this class. There's only 3 students, and it's the first time this class has ever been offered so the professor is kinda figuring out what the class should be about. We're going on a tour on Monday to check out behind the scenes of the Jabbawockeez show (which, side note, is gonna be a little weird because I used to be super close friends with the cousins of Punkee, one of the Jabbawockeez, and they lived together so I was at his house all the time and stuff and I'm not sure if I'll see him, and if so I'm not sure if he'll recognize me because it's been a while???? And it's always weird not knowing if somebody sorta famous is gonna recognize you or not) but after that tour I think we're just gonna be drawing up blueprint of how all of their show control systems are laid out, and that's probably our final project because it's almost the end of the semester and we already decided we're ending the class before finals week.

-Seminar: Literally I just have to keep showing up. It's a once a week class where we listen to different guest speakers, but it only meets three more times, and the last week conflicts with the senior design competition so students in senior design are excused (and i'm pretty sure he doesn't take attendance that week anyways) and the week before he usually has the senior design students come up and talk instead of having a guest speaker, so I have to be there for that, which means there's really only one more week where I have to go listen to anybody. 

-Internship for EED: This is literally just an essay to prove that I did my internship. Officially there is no minimum length it has to be, there are just a few questions that I have to answer in the essay. I answered the first set of questions already, which were all about the type and amount of work that the internship required. I went into explicit detail on this because I wanted to make sure there wasn't any question about the validity of my internship being relevant to my major. The next questions are about specific challenges, how it shaped my career goals, whether or not they asked me to come back for further employment, and what advice I would offer another student seeking the same internship. TBH I probably could have/should have finished that essay instead of typing out this long post, but whatever. It's not due until literally the day that I graduate, so I'm not stressing about it. Probably knock it out by the end of this week just so it isn't looming over me anymore.

So that's really it. I'm so close to the end. I'm really stressing about Senior Design, though. If you had told me last semester that in the weeks leading up to the Senior Design competition I would have been the one who finished all of my responsibilities early and I would be worried that my partner was the one who was going to drop the ball and not complete the project, I would have laughed in your face. As would my partner, and the professor. But here we are. All of my other classes are going to be fine, Construction Management is a weird one because I've had this professor like 4 times in the past and he always curves the grades super hard, but your grade online is your uncurved grade, so I'm sitting at like a 40% but I should be fine. Last semester I got a B+ with about a 52%. In Project Management, I'm feeling super confident about the final exam, and it's worth 40% of my grade, and otherwise I'm sitting at a B in that class. I'd be perplexed if I got anything less than an A in my CAD class or my Show Control Systems class, and Seminar's grading system is entirely based on attendance, and I've missed only one class, which you're allowed to do without it affecting your grade. So I know I've got at least three A's and I'm not super worried about my grades in the other classes. It's just senior design, because if we don't have a completed, properly functioning project when the competition rolls around, we could fail, and I've half assed this class way too much so I'm worried if I did fail I wouldn't have grounds to petition it because upon closer inspection they'll realize that I did absolutely nothing last semester, which means I shouldn't have even been allowed to take this class in the first place, and I spent most of this semester doing nothing for this class either. idk i'm just nervous.

BUT!!!! My graduation ceremony is May 18th, which is the Saturday of finals week. I have 2 more normal weeks of school left. Then Study Week, which is also the week of the Senior Design competition, and then finals week where I just have to take an online Construction Management exam and an in-person Project Management exam. And that's it!!! I'm just. I'm ready to be done. I haven't been able to sleep well the past couple weeks, basically since Spring Break when the reality of college being over finally hit me, and (even bigger) the stress of Senior Design finally hit me. If I had kept going at the same rate as I was going before Spring Break, I would straight up not finish Senior Design this semester, and then I would have to stay in college for another whole entire year and it would have cost so so so so so so much money because I've exceeded the credit limit so any further credits I take before I earn a degree will cost 150%, plus I no longer qualify for financial aid after this semester since I've hit the credit limit. So like thousands of dollars. 

Anyways, I'm just rambling. I need to go to sleep. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users