#41 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

she wanted your d

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#42 Toku

Toku
    Administrator
  • corporate shill and vampire of emotions

• Administrators
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:19 AM

Don't rightly know how many people would be interested, but as long as the topic exists and I'm here...

I've been generally inactive here since I got my job, and since it became one of the most driving forces in my life. That was in 2013, I guess. Since then, I've been fluctuating between emotional lows and bursts of frenzied, burning creative productivity, which I've put mostly into script stuff for work or into writing/spriting for Flock, the D&D campaign I briefly chronicled here (running since 2011, and now housing four different groups all making their way through the plot.)

In Fall of 2014, I was picked out of QA and put on the editing/writing team, going from Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold to P4: Dancing All Night in very quick succession (I wrote town NPC dialogue in the first, and the middle section of the main script for the second!) There've been a lot of times I wished I could come back to excitedly demand you all play something I worked on, or to write something vaguely "started from the RPs now we here", but... NDAs are pretty scary, and you never know quite what's going to break one, even after the project's over. I guess I owe you guys an apology for just up and vanishing (purely decorative admin banner, apparently), especially when it's thanks to you all and your encouragement that I got this far. Without the validation and appreciation I got from FEEF people who read my stuff, participated in my RP threads, any of that... I mean, it seems a longshot that I'd have had the confidence to pursue this stuff.

Sometimes I kind of want to come back and start a new thing, and then I log in... uh, and then I see all the failed forum games I started and couldn't sustain, and realize my credibility's kind of shot by this point. Maybe that's also part of why I'm reluctant to show up more--I keep getting the sense that I've broken my word to you guys. FEEFgame too. I still want to finish that one day, though I certainly can't pretend it's a sure thing. Maybe I'll just release what's there already someday, with a debug mode and a meta-commentary NPC.

Keep trying and failing to write prose. Doesn't quite work. Not sure I have the knack, really, or maybe it's just a lack of motivation. None of my ideas feel right for something so noninteractive.

It's been kind of hard lately staying on top of everything and taking care of my friends, but I feel like I've reached somewhere I wanted to be in life now. I can do creative stuff, or at least semi-creative stuff (editing existing scripts into my choice of English words rather then full creative generation) for a living, I've got people enjoying my personal creative stuff on a weekly basis, and I'll finally be able to support my parents a little--not yet to the extent that they've supported me, but I at least have the resources and freedom to get started on it... and it's stuff I feel like I earned, even. Not just more handouts to feel guilty about.

Met a cute lady. Lives far away, but that's how these things tend to work.

Discovered at E3 that I can drink eight different kinds of mixed drinks in one night without getting dopey. I guess that's your standard neckbeard-constitution for you.

Still listen to lots of exciting music. Curation of that was one of the most fun parts of making little personal project games, and it still holds true for D&D.

...Oh, I sang in an Undertale musical alongside Rayne. That was kind of neat. And I'm addicted to Bundaberg ginger beer.

Can't think of anything else at the moment... that should cover anything people'd be curious about.

Miss y'all.

Endeavors - Flock - Pantheon - FEEFgame - FE: Metamorphosis - Sprite Library

I'm at Atlus now and I miss you all

#43 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

TOKU I MISS YOU STICK AROUND THIS TIME <3333

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#44 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber
  • bearsbearsbearsbearsbears

• Uber
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:27 PM

I'm finally staying at my place tonight instead of my parents' house (because it's right next to the university and classes start tomorrow) and first of all I'm drunk. And my roommate just brought home this chick that has apparently been over a lot lately and they're showering together but I need to shower so I can go to bed because I have school tomorrow.
Anyways my roommate used to work at the coffee shop that I just quit, and is now the manager of a coffee shop that gets their coffee beans from my old work (because my old work was one of only two coffee roasteries in town and I'm pretty sure the other one doesn't do wholesale accounts for coffee beans). And apparently my old boss was trying to talk MAD SHIT about me the other day while dropping off the coffee order, and my roommate was just like "you know Kevin is my roommate, right?" and it got hella awkward. My old boss has been telling people that she fired me, and telling people to look for jobs because apparently I need a new one. Fuck her, I found a new job and then quit, she had nothing to do with it. Fuck that NOISE!

Dramabombs

I hate seeing stuff like this, why can't people just be excellent to each other. My previous employer was of a similar demeanor, and would always talk smack about people when they left (generally due to his negligence as an owner).

Hey Toku~ We've missed you here. You don't owe us anything man, we just love having you around. You're an important part of this family. Glad to see everything's going well for you, hopefully visit a little more often?

giphy.gif

#45 Toku

Toku
    Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:24 PM

TOKU I MISS YOU STICK AROUND THIS TIME <3333

jesus god man your avatar has aged in real time. And I'll give it a shot.

And I think I owe you guys at least SOMEthing in terms of stuff I promised. We'll see what it ends up being. Cheers for sayin' so, though, and halloo.

#46 Karino

Karino
    Veteran
  • embarrassing myself on the regular

• Veterans
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

idk what it's worth, but i'm pretty happy for you toku, you're doing just about exactly the sort of stuff I wanted to do growing up, and it sounds like you're having a good time of it (mostly).

send help

#47 Toku

Toku
    Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:19 PM

POPULAR

It's rewarding a lot of the time. If I'm being totally honest, I end up searching tumblr tags and whatnot for stuff I've worked on to see people's reactions and get warm fuzzies out of 'em. The trick is when things fall out of my control, or when there's concerning things on the horizon that I can't affect with my work on the game. One of these days, I'll sneak a FEEF reference in. "Time for this bird to fly" could come off as pretty natural, depending on the context...

#48 Karino

Karino
    Veteran

• Veterans
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:55 PM

I'll be looking forward to it, haha.

When you say things can fall out of your control, is that something like the situation I heard about with casey hudson and the mass effect three ending, where he allegedly refused any outside input?

back on the topic, though, i think i almost died yesterday or some shit because it hurt to breathe, everything looked like a van gogh, i couldn't hear shit because the blood was roaring in my ears, so i stood up, left class and drank a lot of water till i felt okay again. so i mean that's probably not good

send help

#49 Naya

Naya
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:00 AM

Tokkuuu, I'm not super far yet but I'm loving EO2U so far. And I beat the first Untold and saw your name in the credits like you said I would. I don't have a PS3 much less a PS4 but when I can, I do buy new Atlus games for my 3DS. And idk if you helped at all with Legend of Legacy localizing, but it's also a great game. Don't worry, Atlus games are being enjoyed. I still need Stella Glow though XD But keep up the good work!

Edit: Here's the review I wrote on Amazon for EO2U. And I have more Atlus game reviews in there somewhere. I know I wrote ones for EMD and Legend of Legacy. I just have to go back in and edit out that negativity about the grimoire stone system. I got further than that and realized you actually eventually can have a lot of grimoire skills. It might already be fixed by the time you read it.

https://www.amazon.c...f_=glimp_1rv_cl

#50 Leo

Leo
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • Location:At the end of a rainbow...damn leprechauns took my gold!

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:50 AM

@toku this may sound super nerdy, but i'm gonna say it anyway: i think it's awesome that someone from this forum works at Atlus. they're easily one of my favorite game companies. i don't think i've ever been disappointed by an Atlus game so far except for maybe conception 2(which was really only because of the awful dialogue). i just want to thank you for being a part of that.

This is FEEF

We don't have nachos

We have fruitcake.

#51 Naya

Naya
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:15 AM

Yeah it's pretty awesome we all know an actual employee of an awesome game company. As well as the other way around, that a cool FEEF member has become a part of localizing awesome games.

#52 Karino

Karino
    Veteran

• Veterans
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:38 AM

back on the topic, though, i think i almost died yesterday or some shit because it hurt to breathe, everything looked like a van gogh, i couldn't hear shit because the blood was roaring in my ears, so i stood up, left class and drank a lot of water till i felt okay again. so i mean that's probably not good

i'm totally okay now guys though so don't worry

going in for an appointment tomorrow, they want to talk about what happened (which they, like me, don't think was an actually big deal), but i also made the mistake of mentioning my history of anxiety medication over the phone so they want to talk to me about that too which is going to be an ordeal probably.

and don't worry guys, one day I'll get a job writing for bioware and you'll know someone in the business of writing mediocre trilogies.

send help

#53 XX++Archangel__Darkangel//

XX++Archangel__Darkangel//
    Veteran
  • Advanced Member

• Veterans
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:28 PM

probably dehydration and maybe some anxiety

#54 Leo

Leo
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • Location:At the end of a rainbow...damn leprechauns took my gold!

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

Anxiety can do some strange crap to people. I get hyper paranoid and violent. I nearly jumped through the drive-thru window at work the other day because a customer tried to add another 4 sandwiches to his order after it was already finished. Burgers aside it's best to look into it and be sure that it's nothing rather than have it happen again and actually get hurt next time.

This is FEEF

We don't have nachos

We have fruitcake.

#55 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

i'm totally okay now guys though so don't worry

going in for an appointment tomorrow, they want to talk about what happened (which they, like me, don't think was an actually big deal), but i also made the mistake of mentioning my history of anxiety medication over the phone so they want to talk to me about that too which is going to be an ordeal probably.

and don't worry guys, one day I'll get a job writing for bioware and you'll know someone in the business of writing mediocre trilogies.

Are you stressed out or something? It sounds vaguely like an anxiety attack, but could also just be some vitamin deficiency or something. My B12 was down a couple months ago and it gave me these weird fits very similar to what you had.

giphy.gif

#56 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 05:08 PM

I'm pretty familiar with anxiety attacks - Or at least I'm familiar with having them - And that sounds possibly similar. The part where it hurts to breathe or is hard to breathe is always like the first sign for me that I'm having an anxiety attack. The blood rushing through your ears is also a thing that can happen. Everything looking like Van Gogh was probably a combination of dehydration and limited oxygen.

#57 Karino

Karino
    Veteran

• Veterans
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

it's definitely possible it was stress or anxiety related, but if I had to guess I'd put the blame on the lack of food/sleep which I had that day in conjunction with maybe a small bit of stress or anxiety. my roommate left his tv on and I ended up not being able to sleep until 3 am with an 8:30 class, and I skipped out on lunch as well as breakfast. nurse was much more interested in talking about my anxiety, though, which is pretty much how I thought it was gonna be. long as the weird thing doesn't happen again i'm pretty satisfied. i do have a history of anxiety, but AFAIK none of my little episodes have been anxiety attacks--though it is possible, most of them happened a long time ago.

Actually, funny story, in senior year of high school I fainted in the middle of a dissection. I hadn't had breakfast, hadn't slept as much as I needed to, and had walked to school iirc, which was about 35-45 minutes usually. So we're dissecting this cow eyeball, which I did in like fifth grade, and all of a sudden i get that van gogh shit and lightheadedness, and i'm like "i should get a drink of water", take two steps and wake up on the floor. they fed me and seemed to agree that it was probably just the lack of sleep/food, but i never had to dissect anything in that class again.

also, strangely, when you use the wrong blood pressure thing on me it makes it look like i have elevated blood pressure, but when you use the one designed for tall people i have normal blood pressure. who knew?

send help

#58 Ninja Penguin

Ninja Penguin
  • Howl's Moving Luxury Condo

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:03 AM

Bo3rDog.gif

the fuck is up with you nerds

It's been a While since I did anything more than lurk here, and I've been up to a lot of things. While I technically haven't finished school (state-mandated 45 upper division credit hours to graduate, somehow I ended up with 42 despite finishing all my degree requirements, so lel literally just one more class) I've basically got all the trappings of an English degree. I'd joke about unemployability, but I managed to pick up a computer science minor in there somewhere, and I just finished off a six-month gig doing web development for a consumer electronics/game peripherals company peddling selfie sticks and OFFICIALLY LICENSED CAPCOM® GOODS. Long story involving patent lawyers made short, aforementioned company turned out to be kinda scummy and I quit that job, so I'm on the hunt again. The most promising lead so far is a contract-basis editing job in Toku's department at Atlus, and I'm waiting to hear back. I need to buy him dinner if it works out.

What else... Uh, still writing, still roleplaying, still trying to make the video games. Starting up a new D&D campaign. Got a couple of poems and a short story published in various journals. Got diagnosed with dysthymic depression and that's been a wild ride. I learned the Unity3D engine and my efforts there have been going well. whaddaya buyin'

I'm also playing a lot of Magic and it would be totally rad if you drafted my cube. If you have no idea what those words mean, don't worry about it.

Hope everyone here is doing okay. I miss y'all.

Posted Image
A spritefic.

#59 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:52 AM

Bo3rDog.gif

the fuck is up with you nerds

It's been a While since I did anything more than lurk here, and I've been up to a lot of things. While I technically haven't finished school (state-mandated 45 upper division credit hours to graduate, somehow I ended up with 42 despite finishing all my degree requirements, so lel literally just one more class) I've basically got all the trappings of an English degree. I'd joke about unemployability, but I managed to pick up a computer science minor in there somewhere, and I just finished off a six-month gig doing web development for a consumer electronics/game peripherals company peddling selfie sticks and OFFICIALLY LICENSED CAPCOM® GOODS. Long story involving patent lawyers made short, aforementioned company turned out to be kinda scummy and I quit that job, so I'm on the hunt again. The most promising lead so far is a contract-basis editing job in Toku's department at Atlus, and I'm waiting to hear back. I need to buy him dinner if it works out.

What else... Uh, still writing, still roleplaying, still trying to make the video games. Starting up a new D&D campaign. Got a couple of poems and a short story published in various journals. Got diagnosed with dysthymic depression and that's been a wild ride. I learned the Unity3D engine and my efforts there have been going well. whaddaya buyin'

I'm also playing a lot of Magic and it would be totally rad if you drafted my cube. If you have no idea what those words mean, don't worry about it.

Hope everyone here is doing okay. I miss y'all.

WAT!?
SUM NP!?

but for real man, I miss you. That's some fun stuff happening in your life. I'm happy for you man.

#60 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:48 PM

Sounds like good things are in store man, good luck, great to hear from you again.

giphy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users