Photo

I think we need to talk about something.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Krev McCloud

Krev McCloud
    Deity
  • (っ◔◡◔)っ ~*♥*jet fuel can't melt steel beams*♥*

• Deity
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

So I just accidentally clicked the "Home" link instead of the "Forums" link, for the first time in ages. And I think maybe it's time we need to bring this conversation back around. What are we? I know we operate under the pretense of being a Fire Emblem site, but if you click on the homepage, our most recent news still says that there has yet to be a confirmed NA release date for Fire Emblem Awakening.

I guess what I'm saying is, can we make some effort to either produce content as a community, or detach ourselves from the Fire Emblem name all together? I know Dave is busy with Real Life™ lately, but perhaps we can come together as a community and actually become a legit Fire Emblem site again? Or come together and decide what we are, otherwise? 

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-27%20at%2012.49.

#2 Azide

Azide
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:21 AM

I know there's been talk of going to a general gaming forum, and that makes the most sense to me.  That's what a majority of recent forum activity has been.

#3 ISuckAtUsernames

ISuckAtUsernames
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

This is basically what i was attempting to say in that thread i made/hijacked a few months back. It looks... I dunno, aged? For lack of better wording. I don't quite know what i can do to contribute, but give me something and i'll roll with it.

Mark Hoppus - She Said

#4 Karino

Karino
    Veteran
  • embarrassing myself on the regular

• Veterans
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:21 PM

Honestly though I think the forums will stay the same regardless of what we rebrand ourselves to. I'm not saying there's no point, but I am saying we should probably stick to what we've been doing in terms of "what the forum is".

That way, new members won't get the wrong impression, we're more likely to attract members that are actually into the stuff we talk about, etc.

send help

#5 zac

zac
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 868 posts
  • Location:At the end of a rainbow...damn leprechauns took my gold!

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:32 AM

This comes up a lot, and it usually amounts to the same thing each time: not much. I'm not trying to dishearten anyone, or say your efforts are going to be wasted because that just isn't true. But I think forums like this are just not going to be able to have the same presence they used to.

Now on to contributing. I don't think we should rebrand ourselves. Every person who joined this forum has at least one thing in common. We loved fire emblem enough to seek out a community that shares the same love for the series. It may not be super prevalent in our recent threads, but for the most part I think everyone here has fond memories of struggling against their first game only to come out on top(and then feel awful when the character info starts to roll and you realize how many people you let die). I guess what I'm saying is that regardless of what we talk about the thing that brought us here is FE, so it should stay as an FE forum.

As for how we go about moving forward...well that's more difficult really. Updating the home page is a good start of course, but where do you go from there? There's no point in forcing yourself to come up with fire emblem based content just because that's the theme of the forum. It'll only hurt your motivation for posting in general. What we could do is drum up interest in little events built around the games that everyone can enjoy. I'm not sure where I'm going with this really, but I hope someone else reads it and comes up with something good =P

Edit: now that i've got myself thoroughly awake way too early(lucky i don't have to work today) i'm now thinking about how to get some FE hype flowing. i've come up with a few things, none of them original in any way of course. first thought that came to mind was writing an FE fanfic. i haven't done any serious writing in a long time now, and it's about time to fire up the thinkmelon anyway to get ready for college english courses. the second one was we could organize some community streaming/recording of games where 2-3 members are doing an LP/guide/just talking/whatever they want basically while one of them plays. spriting contests are also a fun way to get people involved, but i'm not sure how much interest people here have in that. last idea i had was to do a community theorycraft of the "perfect" Fire Emblem. like we would decide what mechanics it would use, how balanced it is, the difficulty, extra features like dlc addons, everything else that i can't think of because it's nearly 2am. idk about you guys, but i'd have a lot of fun talking about that kind of thing with everyone.

This is FEEF

We don't have nachos

We have fruitcake.

#6 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:24 AM

yeah like, I haven't played a FE game since RD. I haven't played awakening or whatever the new one is called

rebranding isn't really going to achieve anything, IMO

I'm up for re-evaluating/redoing the main site one day, but it will have to be a project that is primarily led & driven by other people

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users