3 replies to this topic

#1 Krev McCloud

Krev McCloud
    Deity
  • (っ◔◡◔)っ ~*♥*jet fuel can't melt steel beams*♥*

• Deity
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:18 AM

It's been a while since we've discussed a controversial issue in here, SOOOOOOOO, what do you all think about the Kaepernick issue that's going on right now?

For those who aren't aware of the situation, the unbiased TL;DR:

• Colin Kaepernick (Quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers) refused to stand for the national anthem recently, and has continued to refuse to do so.
  • When interviewed, Kaep said that he was going to stand with those who are oppressed, and that he will begin standing again once he feels like this country as a whole is fairly treating black people (or, ya know, he probably said it better but I'm paraphrasing.)
  • Many people are upset about this, because they view it as disrespect towards our nation.
  • A lot of the people that were upset about this were using the argument that it is disrespectful towards our veterans that have fought so hard to protect this country. In response to this, the hashtag #VeteransForKaepernick took off on various forms of social media. It seems that veterans are nearly unanimous in the idea that Kaepernick's actions were justified.
  • Fox News opinion columnist Tomi Lahren went on a very passionate rant, which went viral. I'd post a link, but the only YouTube videos I could find had extremely biased titles. Most people who saw this and already had an opinion on the matter seemed to simply gravitate further to the extremity of their opinion.

So anyways, what do y'all think on the matter?

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-27%20at%2012.49.

#2 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:40 AM

I think you're attempt at being unbiased kinda failed at "veterans almost unanimously support him", like twitter trending is a barometer for that.

Personally, I lost some respect for the guy, but he's young. Young people don't think things through. He owes his extraordinary livelihood to a country where people like him are given unfair wealth, and he accepts that wealth without any protest. I think his argument would mean a lot more if he gave away the millions he gets for playing a game in protest of the treatment of black people instead of shitting on one of the few acts that is meant to genuinely show solidarity in our country. But overall, I'm not too into the whole story, I think it's kinda stupid. He's young and dumb, and what he's doing shouldn't be given this kind of attention.

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#3 Leo

Leo
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • Location:At the end of a rainbow...damn leprechauns took my gold!

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:57 PM

This whole thing doesn't have any effect on my life at all, but the fact that I have had to hear about it on several occasions annoys me because big picture-wise it doesn't matter in the least if he wants to stand. Like yosh said it's the fact that he lives in America that gives him the chance to have the job he does. Realistically though this isn't a way to protest racism. The national anthem, at least in our current age, is a symbol of the freedoms that living in America allows. His refusing to stand, at least to me, seems more like it would be a protest against the country itself rather than its racist citizens(which as far as o can tell is a very minor portion of the population). Tbh white, black, Mexican, doesn't even matter. You have racists from every single race, and they'll always be around. Forever. I may be lucky, but personally I've never seen anyone being mistreated because of their skin color(i did get some funny looks when I went to a track meet at a predominantly black school, but that's not because of racism. It was just funny to see a white boy in inner city Baltimore)

This is FEEF

We don't have nachos

We have fruitcake.

#4 shrub

shrub
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:34 AM

I don't consider myself a nationalist by any means, so I don't think standing for one's national anthem matters THAT much since it's kind of just a weird, antiquated ritual that doesn't really say whether you actually appreciate your country or not. Although I also think there's nothing wrong with being proud of the country which has afforded you freedoms and opportunities such as USA or Canada. But I guess when you're in a situation like a football game where everyone is standing for the anthem, you might as well do it just to not stand out like a sore thumb.

I think that the Colin guy is being sort of melodramatic. I mean racism does still occur in the US to some extent, but you can't say black people or any other race of people "aren't treated fairly". Black people have been given equal rights, freedoms and legal treatment, therefore no further activism (i.e. sitting down, lol) is necessary in my opinion. But I also think it shouldn't be a big national issue that he didn't stand. It's just a national anthem at a damn football game. At the end of the day, who is this really hurting? Life will go in.

wariotime_small.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users