#841 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 04:52 PM

So, over my absence from this place I've been playing WAY too much (actually not enough) Monster Hunter World on Xbox 1. I'm over HR130, Only needing 1 AT Kirin kill for the layered Armor, and AT Teostra for Layered Armor, and AT Kush just dropped, hitting that when I get off work today. I just made a new armor set so i need a few more armor spheres to finalize it and then I need to farm for a few more Decos to fully finalize the set. I only played MH4U before this, and was a HH, Lance Main back then, but in MHW it's been Great Sword, and more aptly Aerial style (in training), and Charge Blade. I still have Lances and HH ready in the winds for if certain hunts need a more supportive/tank role - I.E. Tempered Behemoth.

Other than that, I recently borrowed Nioh from a friend and Horizon Zero Dawn, and both game are fantastic, and of course Fire Emblem Heroes!

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Wolff should've been reclassed to squirrel.

Posted Image

#842 Maverick

Maverick
    Uber
  • POWA BOMB

• Uber
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:31 PM

I really want to get Monster Hunter, but that full-price tag is really hindering me right now.

I've been playing SFV as per usual, still grinding away. I haven't gotten tired of this game yet, it's getting close to matching Smash in terms of hours punched now.

I gave Skyrim another chance recently, and honestly I don;t know what I was so against back when it came out. It's still not a perfect game by any means, and Bethesda's janky-ass engine irritates me every now and then, but it really is unparalleled at being an open-world fantasy RPG.

Also, just downloaded Gucamelee 2 a couple nights ago. The original stands as one of the absolute favourite indie games, and in my top 5 platformers of all time. I hope this one lives up to expectation.

giphy.gif

#843 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,297 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:38 PM

Bought a Switch. Breath of the Wild is soooo gooooood. I'm currently about 80 shrines in, got the Master Sword and all 4 divine beasts out of the way. Right now I'm just working on unlocking/upgrading all the armor in the game.

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#844 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:48 PM

I really want to get Monster Hunter, but that full-price tag is really hindering me right now.

Yea, but it's a once a time full price tag with FREE DLC FOR TWO YEARS. It's not like Destiny, or The Division with a full price tag AND full price tag DLC.

I have about 500 hours into the game or so, and I just can't get enough. I just picked up a new weapon last night on a whim to try it out and was like, Alright, I like this time to Lab an armor set and see how much better it/I preform. I went from dying to a Dodogama (an easy beast, but Explosion damage HITS REALLY HARD lol) (High rank only still, never tested in the training room, or did a low rank hunt.) Then went to fighting DevilJho (One of the hardest fights in the game, though not tempered cuz the quest wasn't up), and beat him twice the second time without needing to heal. Then took on a Tempered Elder Dragon, beat him without a Death, and I think no healing, I can't recall exactly.

But I'm adding another weapon to my list of things I can use effectively. I honestly should just go through and do this with each weapon. Set a few quests aside as test quests and go at it. Though a lot of the skill from hunting monsters doesn't come from the weapon and just knowing the monster and it's moves/openings/etc.

OH and I joined an "elite" club for MHW on Xbox cuz I need a few good other players I can count on for Behemoth because basic rando's are going to ruin the attempts.

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Posted Image

#845 Maverick

Maverick
    Uber
  • POWA BOMB

• Uber
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:45 AM

Yeah, I have no doubt that MHW is worth the price, but I just can't afford to drop that much right now. I'm on an unpaid internship, so I'm basically just bleeding money right now.

Guacamelee 2 is solid. Slower to start than the original, but it's still got really funny dialogue, and the controls are just as tight as ever. I'm not far enough to see what new mechanics and abilities they've added, so my overall opinion will heavily depend on that.

I want BotW so badly it hurts. Honestly, I might break down and get the WiiU version. The differences aren't that huge apparently, and I'm sure I can find a used copy by now.

I just kinda expected to have a Switch before now tbh. But I ended up having to buy a car and rent an apartment, so woohoo.

giphy.gif

#846 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:20 PM

I've recently picked up C.A.T.S (Crash Arena Turbo Stars) it's basically cats + robot wars. It's heavily RNG based which is annoying at times, but you can usually make do with the random stuff they get you. You get chassis, weapons, wheels, and utility things. Each chassis comes with randomly placed wheel weapon and utility slots. There's like 5 chassis at the start and you unlock more as you progress through the game, same with weapons but there's like 8 or so of those, and similarly for utility and tires.  It's a fun game to play when things are slow and I'm not grinding in FEH.

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Posted Image

#847 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,297 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:00 PM

I'm in the same boat re: Monster Hunter. All of my friends are getting deep into it, and it does look like a lot of fun, but that's just money that I don't have right now. It's been hard enough justifying owning a Switch at all, what with being a broke college student. If I sold my Switch I could defo stretch that money out for the rest of the semester and barely have to work and not have to worry about how to afford basic human survival, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ what am I gonna do, miss Smash? Yeah RIGHT.

Mav, get BotW on the WiiU, it's totally worth it. The only real difference is graphical quality and environmental audio, both of which are gonna be pretty insignificant. There's just so much you can do in the game, and it's so much more opened up than previous Zelda games. You get pretty much all of your items early on, and instead you just have some really cool puzzles that really force you to think creatively about how to utilize your items and abilities. Plus you can run, climb, and jump whenever you feel like it, which is super different from typical Zelda, and the combat is huuuuugely upgraded from previous 3D Zelda titles. It's such a good game and I love it and I don't think you'll be missing out on anything if you get it for the Wii U.

Anyways, I've started playing Paladins (that Overwatch knock-off) and it's actually pretty fun. Overwatch is definitely a better game, but Paladins does have some things over it. Specifically, it's free and it's available on the Switch, two things that Overwatch does NOT have going for it. It also has character building sort of reminiscent of League. I was gonna go into detail about it but eh, here are some (outdated) videos that explain it: Outdated explanation of loadouts, Update to loadouts In-game items. It's not a perfect game or anything, and looking back at old videos of it, it seems like it only recently even became a good game, but I'm having fun with it for now. Free games are dope.
Speaking of which, Warframe comes to the Switch on November 20th, and I'm hella excited. I haven't been able to play in months because my PC is fucked, but the TennoCon reveal from this summer got me super hyped to jump back in.

#848 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:41 PM

If you both Had Xbox One's Id' gift you both MHW... No Johns.

I haven't played warframe in a few months, but TennoCon brought back much hype, and I'm still waiting on FenRir to drop... though I wont have a PC til Cyber Monday prolly...

Found out recently why I wasn't as good in OW as I am in EVERY OTHER SHOOTER I PLAY. When they first released it they had a single aim style, and i think it was exponential growth or something. So I didn't look much into changing it and just dealt with it feeling different. During my like 7 season hiatus they have added in Linear-Growth, which is what EVERY OTHER SHOOTER USES. Basically Exponential growth works like this: You have the dead zone on the stick (neutral un-touched) then you have the first ring at x4 of your sensitivity setting, the next ring is x8, the next x16, so your aiming isn't smooth and it's sporadic and with aim smoothing naturally being at 100 going from left to right took a good like .5 seconds to start actually moving in the other direction. with Linear, it's: DeadZone ring 1 = x1, ring 2 =x2 ring 3=x3 etc. So it's a much smoother increase, and when putting Aim Smoothing to 0, you can flick from left to right and it moves 100% no delay no slow build up going from one direction to the other etc. So now OW feels like EVERY OTHER SHOOTER for me, and I played a few rounds last night and OMG did it feel so much better. 

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Posted Image

#849 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,297 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:41 AM

Sooo I finally downloaded Celeste the other day. Fantastic game. I finished the main story this morning and it's so great. I love the mechanics, I love the progression of difficulty, I love the B-Sides... It's such a fantastic game. And I have mad respect for people who can speedrun this game, because holy shit this game is hard enough without worrying about speed. 
I've only got about 10 hours on the game so far, and I've only finished 3 of the B-Sides (and I'm missing most of the strawberries tbh) but I'm having a blast. It's been a while since I've gotten the experience of playing a good platformer for the first time, and I really miss this.

#850 Relyt

Relyt
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:14 PM

I was playing Monster Hunter World nonstop when it released, though I only got to HR 39 until I kinda drifted away

At this very moment I'm playing Orochi Warriors 4. I've tried getting into the Warriors series before, with Dynasty games, Fire Emblem Warriors, DW: Gundam, nothing seemed to stick but I guess my tastes have changed cause I'm having fun. 

I also played Cities Skyline for a bit when it released on the switch. Still lots of League of Legends though. 

#851 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:16 PM

Got back into Overwatch over this past month, put MHW on the side burner because these Arch Tempered releases are just artificial difficulty increases and not fun.

Been having a decent time in OW, now that they added more stick types? Linear Ramp is finally in the game and it's the normal shooter aim stick style that was absent on game release (I don't know how far in they added it). but man it's made the game FEEL so much better. Slowly climbing up to Plat, I don't know if I'll have time to make it this season it ends in 6 days... I'm around 2200 SR and Plat is 2500, each win gets roughly 20 points... But I have activities planned Mon, Tues, Thursday... and working til 5 pm really cuts my time short... It's possible, but I think I'll end up like I did last time I played around 2450...

Maining DPS since I have great friends to play with, Reaper/Sombra/Soldier/JunkRat learning Genji and Tracer now. I can play Winston and Zarya well, and Xin/Ana for when I'm solo Queue'ing.

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Posted Image

#852 Naya

Naya
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:33 PM

I've been especially glued to Trails of Cold Steel lately. It started slow but around the halfway point I realized it was like a good book and i basically rushed through it(didn't grind a ton and used the retry with weakened enemies option a lot in battle) in only about 2 or 3 weeks. I've never played any Trails games before and two that are are a direct prequel series to Cold Steel haven't even been localized. But for the most part I've enjoyed it regardless and gotten sucked into following the Cold Steel exclusive characters' story and whatnot. I'm now on the second but like the first it's starting slow. I may need to take a break and play something else or game a little less for a bit.

#853 M.C MyZtery

M.C MyZtery
    Uber
  • hazel bubble chu~

• Uber
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:41 PM

I dont have a switch so i been really missing out, but i went through a dragons dogma dark arisen and dragons dogma online phase and now i been preparing myself to play sonic adventure 2 battle. 

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Spoiler

Posted Image
Credit for Flareon siggy goes to November

#854 Maverick

Maverick
    Uber
  • POWA BOMB

• Uber
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:40 PM

I got Spider-Man for PS4 as a birthday gift, and man lemme tell you.

It took everything good about the Batman Arkham series (Inarguably the best superhero videogame franchise up to this point), and fine-tuned it to near perfection.

My only gripe is that it doesn't do anything new, per say. It's the same sandbox, super high quality graphics, endless procedurally generated pop-up missions, story-driven game we've seen a million times this generation. However, it takes the most mundane part of an open-world game and makes it the primary source of enjoyment.

Traversal in Spider-man is perfect. The physics-based web swinging is the single most satisfying movement in a game I've ever played.

Outside of that, the combat is challenging but totally fair. You have to think and be on guard, there's a ton of different enemy types with their own strengths and weaknesses, but you can use any number and combination of skills and gadgets to take them out. It's got the most freedom of any free-flowing combat style game I've ever seen.

The story is actually amazing too, for a superhero videogame. Thankfully it's not an origin story, the whole in-game world knows Spidey and there's a history there, making reference to commonly known events in-universe that any Spider-man fan would know about. It tells a compelling story that has a lot of weight to it. Peter Parker is so likeable in this game, it's my favourite incarnation of the character to date.

The writing is solid, there's no typical superhero story cringe, it's an excellent game.

It's also polished to perfection. So many tiny details that make the world believable, and really show a lot of love and passion that went into it. Just one example, Spider-man's passive dialogue lines are all recorded twice, so whenever a conversation or phone call is happening during gameplay, it either plays the calm and normal voice lines (when you're not doing anything in particular), or faster, frantic and out-of-breath lines for when you're in combat or web-swinging.

They understand what superhero fans want, too. There's the perfect amount of fanservice to keep you interested and give you that elation of seeing and hearing things you love, without it feeling like mindelss pandering. There's like 30 something costumes in the game that you unlock progressively as you level up, and it really incentivises you to do it, it's really worth it. Each suit is super unique, and they even each have different bonus powers that change combat or traversal.

All in all, it's an Amazing Spider-man (pun intended) game.

9.5/10

giphy.gif

#855 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:11 PM

I actually have the season pass for this game, I have yet to play the DLC that has dropped, and I haven't finished the game either... I don't like sandbox games... Though my roommate loves it and is waiting for the next DLC to drop. I mainly got it for him, but I wanted to try it out too, it is fantastic, but I just don't like sandbox games so it finally got to that point and I haven't picked it back up since... 

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Posted Image

#856 Peppy Hare-nest

Peppy Hare-nest
    Veteran
  • Autopromotion

• Veterans
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:10 AM

Been enjoying Devil May Cry 1 as much as DmC; went on to DMC2 next, but it was so bad it only needed ONE (1) hour of playtime to give me franchise burnout and kill all of the fire I had reserved for the much more praised DMC3. No matter, guess I'll wait a few months...

Also, to all Switch owners here, I can only recommend trying out the Octopath Traveler demo if you're into JRPGs. It's free, three hours long, and worth looking at!

sig.gif

#857 Naya

Naya
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:26 PM

I played the original Octopath Traveler demo a while back and wrote a whole first impressions article on it. I loved it. Then the second one came out and my fears from Square Enix saying they were fixing some things due to fan feedback came true. There are a few small changes I disliked. Then the game came out and I didn't have the cash to get it yet but I heard a couple of disappointing things. Now it seems like if I did buy it, it'd be fun for 20-30 hours and then promptly get old and not be so great anymore. No longer super excited and driven to buy it, but I'm also bored lately and not sure.

#858 Maverick

Maverick
    Uber
  • POWA BOMB

• Uber
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:07 AM

So all of the people who love me decided to pool the money they would have spent on me for Christmas and got me a Switch and Smash Ultimate, and I'm so thankful. I really am extremely fortunate.

Also, my mentor from internship gave me Breath of the Wild for Christmas, which is pretty amazing.

So obviously I've been on that Smash grind and finally catching up on the Zelda that I've so desperately been wanting to play.

Both games so far are nearly perfect, I'll get into a more in-depth discussion about BOTW once I make some real story progress.

giphy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users