870 replies to this topic

#861 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber
  • bearsbearsbearsbearsbears

• Uber
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:23 PM

I finished BOTW finally, got all of the memories and all of the shrines. Honestly, I probably won't ever do all 900 Korok Seeds, it's too grindy, and the incentive isn't there anymore. I collected enough to get all the weapon slots, most of the bow slots, and a few shield slots. My shield inventory slots are basically useless now anyway because of the Hylian Shield, which has 10x the durability of any other shield in the game, the highest defense, and can be purchased from the collector in Tarrey Town when it breaks.

Honestly, it took me a long time to love BOTW. Not because it isn't a good game, but because it's not a Zelda game. BOTW is Nintendo's attempt a massive-scale open world RPG along the vein of The Elder Scrolls and The Witcher, it just happens to take place in the Zelda universe. But now that I've invested nearly 250 hours into it, I'm ready to make a genuine review.

I'm one of the few people who actually enjoys the oft-reviled "Zelda Formula". I love the process of entering a new world, learning my setting, travelling to dungeons and meeting new people, collecting new gear to unlock progression, and working my way through that kind of curated experience. Each game brings new gimmicks and features that change the way it plays, and I never felt bored of it.

BOTW is a knee jerk-reaction to the negativity surrounding Skyward Sword, and for good reason. Skyward Sword failed in a lot of ways, it distilled a lot of the more criticized aspects of modern Zelda and doubled-down on them (hand-holding, mandatory motion controls, revisiting the same areas, "shoot the glowing weakness" boss fights, etc.). I'll admit that while I'm a fan of modern Zelda and its tropes, SS felt bogged down and unenjoyable for me too.

Enter BOTW. The game does nothing for you. You're thrown into a world you don't know, given only the smallest breadcrumbs to follow, and the world is yours to explore at your own pace right out of the gate. it's a totally different experience. You have to gather materials and weapons from the world around you, supplies are a precious commodity, and food and shelter and protection are a constant priority.

Traversal is fantastic. the free-climbing system is amazing, and the use of the stamina wheel (unlike Skyward Sword) makes sense, and it incentivises you to visit as many shrines as possible so you can get stronger and climb faster and farther. The paraglider is PERFECT and fits into the world as naturally as breathing. Horseback riding is nice and simple, horse control well and the automatic pathway following is excellent.

Combat is the best its ever been in a game of this kind. You can approach any situation however you wish. Stealth, divide and conquer, head-on assaults, whatever you want. And the varied environments and freedom of movement make for amazing and creative uses of the world, and the runes and other abilities allow for an unbelievable amount of freedom. The way elements and weapons interact with one another makes it worthwhile to experiment and try out different combinations. There isn't just one single best option, every situation calls for a unique approach.

Visually, this is the best Zelda has ever looked, and not just because of the new hardware. It's a lovely evolution of Skyward Sword's painted aesthetic. It's simpler, cleaner, and allows for crisp lines and models without sacrificing resolution or texture fidelity. Enemy designs are amazing, they all have unique silhouettes that allow the player to quickly recognize from a distance what kind of enemies are on the horizon. The world bosses are fantastic as well, each having multiple weaknesses and explotable patterns, allowing for even more creativity when facing them down.

The story bosses do fall a little flat, as they all have a similar cycle of "Attack Pattern>Stun>Free Hits>Repeat". They all have a glowing eye weakness that stuns them when shot with an arrow, they all shoot big lasers that can be parried for a free stun, and they all have large telegraphed swings that can be parried or dodged for a flurry attack. Each one has a gimmick ala typical 3D Zelda (a vacuum attack that sucks up a bomb, a whirlwind that throws you off but can give you a free gliding bullet-time shot, filling the arena with water that you can freeze platform in, and metal rods that will conduct its own electrical attacks back at it) and these are refreshing, but aren't actually necessary to win. Every story boss can be beaten by just shooting the eye, dodging the attacks, and swinging your sword.

The final boss as well is veru similar, following the same tropes. There is the classic Zelda FINAL Final boss after the real fight, and while it's extremely cinematic, climactic, and visually stunning, it falls short on the gameplay and is nearly impossible to lose unless you really try to die.

The story of BOTW is also lacking in some areas. The biggest shortcoming is the fact that BOTW takes pace in a world where everything interesting has already past. Without getting into too many spoilers, this game takes place after what could have been any other game, but instead the hero fails to defeat Ganon. There are 4 groups of people with four champions, who all come together as a team alongside Link and Zelda to fight Ganon. The game repeatedly tells you that these Champions were your best friends and that Zelda means so much to you, but they never acually allow us to experience anything that makes us feel that way. The memories do a good job of showing pivotal moments that show us flashes of the relationship between these characters, but they're all dead and gone and all we have to go on is how the game tells us we should feel about them.

Ganon is also barely even a character in this game. He is literally just a mindless embodiment of evil that is threatening the world with imminent destruction, but we aren't given any motivation outside "You are our champion and you must save us!"

Ocarina of Time made us afraid of Ganondorf by showing us what he's capable of and how much stronger he is than us. Twilight Princess showed him as the Puppet Master behind everything that harmed our friends and ruined our home. Wind Waker created a villian who was not only ambitious and driven, but acually sympathetic in his motivations and history.

Calamity Ganon is a faceless boogeyman, and BOTW suffers for it.

This doesn't ruin the experience however. BOTW is so full of content that even with a simple story, the game is more then enough of game to motivate you to play in other ways. Getting new gear, collecting materials for upgrades, getting shrines for hearts and stamina, finishing sidequests and discovering hidden areas and world bosses all create an a amazing adventure RPG that will keep anyone playing for hours past the main quest.

Gameplay: A+

Visuals: A+

Content: A+

Story: B-

Overall I give BOTW a 8.5/10. It's an amazing game, and this is what Nintendo wants to do with Zelda in the future, then count me in.

giphy.gif

#862 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:53 PM

My only issue with it is it's exactly that, sandbox-y type game that I don't enjoy. I know I'm in a minority here with not liking open world sand box games, just like I'm in the minority that doesn't like battle royal games/Free For All type shooters. It stems from the feeling of being overwhelmed with too much to do. Like in Skyrim, or BotW, or GTA, etc, there's a main quest line to follow, but it is easily forgotten about and then out of no where you have like 23784923 quests you're working on and then I'm done. Much like Spider-Man on PS4, phenomenal game, I love it, but I wont pick it back up to finish it. I know the games are great, and I do play them, but only for X amount of time, and I won't finish it 9/10. It's a similar issue I have with Forza Horizon vs Forza 5, I just want to pick a race and race. I don't want to have to drive from point A to point B to get to a Race... Same with Burn Out Revenge to Burn Out paradise. I am not a fan of these huge immersive worlds, unless it's multiplayer. Elder Scrolls Online? Love it! I can play that game which encompasses Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind etc, and so much more in a HUGE open world, but I'm not alone, I have friends along side me, and not some brainless npc. 

Though that won't be a viable fix for me with games like Spider-Man, BotW, etc, those are meant to be single player, and honestly Spider-Man is almost small enough that I didn't have an issue, but after about a solid week of playing it finally wore me down and the hum drum of trying to do all the side quests all over the map got to me and  I had to put it down. It's also partly because I'm a completionist, I want to do EVERYTHING in one area before moving to the next, and I "need" to do them as best as they can be done if they have a challenge rating tier/medal tier type thing. And in those huge worlds like Skyrim, there is just TOO much in each area to really do that without becoming overwhelmed for me.

Though I will never discount how great those game actually are, I will not say anything bad about them outside of anything that might actually be warranted. But, I know they are great games, and I do give them a good college try in a sense lol, however, I'll stick to my linear games like Monster Hunter World, and it's grind fest lol... Which I'll be attempting to start speed running fights soon... I just need to learn a whole new play style to be competitive with times...

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Wolff should've been reclassed to squirrel.

Posted Image

#863 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:29 PM

Open-world games are absolutely overdone, and most of them are only "open" in terms of the fact that you can go wherever whenever, but the world itself is just copypasted activities and mechanics with no real diversity. It's a whole lot of the same thing.

BOTW really felt like an open world. It was dynamic, like the world existed with or without you in it, and that makes it a shining example of what an "open-world" game needs to be. You could be minding your own business mining minerals or crossing a bridge over a gorge and suddenly a legendary dragon flies by. He pays you no mind, you're just there in the world the same as he is. There are so many wonderful little things that are self-sufficient in BOTW and it develops such a rich feeling of a real world to explore.

I've been really busy with work lately and haven't really played any games at all. Still haven't gotten my internet connected at my house either, so I have no idea if online gaming is going to be an option here. I sure hope so, isolation is fine as long as I can still play online.

Once I get my first paycheck I'm going to grab a new game, just not sure what yet. I've pretty much played out everything I got from Christmas.

I'm really heavily leaning towards DMC5, I absolutely ADORE DMC, and apparently this is one of the best in the series, so I don't know if I can resist. However, it's a pricey pick considering I don't have much extra cash lyring around, and I might go for something a little older for cheaper instead.

Then there's Trials Rising, which honestly I think is my #1 pick. I loved Evolution and Fusion, and so far review for this one are amazing as well. I would get the Switch version because Trials is such a good style game for portable, but the Switch port is pretty bad compared to PS4, so I'll probably get that. Oh, and it's only $40 for the Gold Edition so yeah.

giphy.gif

#864 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:36 PM

I ended up getting Let's Go Pikachu and honestly I don't regret that decision.

I wanted something to get me back into Pokemon for Sword and Shield, and this is a really pleasant way to re-experience Gen I.

It's way more casual than I expected though. It's very much a scenario of "What if the Gen 1 adventure was in Pokemon Go!?"

No wild pokemon battles (Probably my only real "complaint" about the game), but that's okay. I like the emphasis on catching any and all Pokemon you find. Battles aren't random, which is nice when you just wanna proceed, and you can pick and choose which Pokemon to encounter because they appear on the overworld. Getting experience for the catch is nice, means you can still grind easily, and massing up a huge number of a Pokemon to send to Oak (just like in GO!) gets you basically free IV candies, which is really nice.

The aesthetic of the world and the small features are amazing. I enjoy that your starter Partner Pokemon has increased base stats to offset the fact that you can't evolve them, and the new "special" moves that only they can learn are cute and really powerful.

Let's Go is not much of a challenge, but it's a ton of fun. It feels like being a Pokemon anime portagonist with an OP Pikachu, and that's not a bad thing. If I want a harder more conventional way to play Gen I, I'll just go back and play Fire Red again. This is a great casual experience that's just exactly what I needed right now. I come home from work, sit on the couch, and have a relaxing session of playing Pokemon.

giphy.gif

#865 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

I ended up getting Let's Go Pikachu and honestly I don't regret that decision.

I wanted something to get me back into Pokemon for Sword and Shield, and this is a really pleasant way to re-experience Gen I.

It's way more casual than I expected though. It's very much a scenario of "What if the Gen 1 adventure was in Pokemon Go!?"

No wild pokemon battles (Probably my only real "complaint" about the game), but that's okay. I like the emphasis on catching any and all Pokemon you find. Battles aren't random, which is nice when you just wanna proceed, and you can pick and choose which Pokemon to encounter because they appear on the overworld. Getting experience for the catch is nice, means you can still grind easily, and massing up a huge number of a Pokemon to send to Oak (just like in GO!) gets you basically free IV candies, which is really nice.

The aesthetic of the world and the small features are amazing. I enjoy that your starter Partner Pokemon has increased base stats to offset the fact that you can't evolve them, and the new "special" moves that only they can learn are cute and really powerful.

Let's Go is not much of a challenge, but it's a ton of fun. It feels like being a Pokemon anime portagonist with an OP Pikachu, and that's not a bad thing. If I want a harder more conventional way to play Gen I, I'll just go back and play Fire Red again. This is a great casual experience that's just exactly what I needed right now. I come home from work, sit on the couch, and have a relaxing session of playing Pokemon.

my only other real gripe has been the "Rival" not being your actual "Rival" but like a friend... I just came out of Zubat Cave, here have this free pokemon heal for your full team. No. That's not what you do. You battle me here and now, with your full health team while I'm just barely scrapping by out of the cave. You're my RIVAL not my Friend!

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Posted Image

#866 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:04 PM

Pokemon hasn't had a real rival since Gold and Silver let's be honest here. They totally changed the formula so it's only "friends and friendly rivals" in the rest of the series.

The closest thing was Gladion who was still not really a rival, but the edgy Anti-Hero who only fights you because you're in the way of his super angsty side-story.

Man, Sun and Moon were awful.

I'm enjoying Let's Go, but I definitely am more excited for Sword and Shield. If they handle/look the same as LGP/E but return to the classic mechanics (random encounters, wild Pokemon battles, Abilities, hold items, etc.) then it's going to be a wonderful generation.

I hope that the story isn't as over-the-top and convoluted as SM. I don't like an overbearing story presence in Pokemon. And I guess that makes me a "genwunner", but after BW tried to make Pokemon into Final Fantasy, I haven't enjoyed the games as much. There's too many cutscenes, too many long conversations and expository monologues, and way too many encounters with NPCs that the game tells me I'm suppsoed to care about. Let me battle, let me collect Pokemon, and screw off with your melodramatic world-ending scenario.

I don't care about N's sob story and motivations, I don't care about Lysandre's nefarious plot, and I especially don't care about Lusamine's domestic abuse. If I want a mediocre anime plot, I'll play a JRPG or watch anime.

This shift towards making a more "immerive" Pokemon game is a disservice IMO. I like my Pokemon games to be more gamey, not "narrative experiences".

giphy.gif

#867 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:40 PM

Yeah, gen 7 approached the storyline elements of the game focusing on quantity over quality. Every four steps was another unskippable cutscene, almost all of which were completely uninteresting and unnecessary. I really appreciated gen 1 and 2 having almost no storyline. Gen 1 was literally just "hey these are what Pokemon are and you and your neighbor both want to be the best pokemon trainers in the world so go have fun" and then later there was like, Team Rocket whenever you feel like dealing with them, and like that's the whole storyline. Gen 2 introduced a ~LITTLE~ more with Team Rocket coming back and all the radio tower stuff and Red Gyarados and all that, but it was still very open, and the world was built in a way that was structured enough that you would still follow a cohesive order of events but you still got to explore to your hearts content. Gen 7 was the absolute worst game of the series so far because it strayed so far from those things that made Pokemon so wonderful. I didn't get to explore much at all. If an area wasn't explicitly necessary for progressing the boring storyline, then the game wouldn't even let me go there. It was more like watching a bad movie than playing a video game. 

I'm reeeeeeeeeeeally hoping Nintendo realizes that everyone hated gen 7 for these reasons and changes things up in gen 8.

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#868 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 02:04 AM

Nintendo is in such an odd place right now. They're simultaneously making really good and really poor decisions IMO.

Franchises like Mario and Zelda have gotten the best games in their entire history recently, Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are both very highly regarded and considered pinnacles of their genre.

Meanwhile, we have Fire Emblem which is being distilled down into a waifu dating sim with tropey anime girls and gameplay that's so tones down, that you can beat even the hardest difficulty with just grinding.

Then there's Pokemon, which we just discussed and pointed out some of the major recent flaws.

Fingers crossed that Metroid Prime 4 meets expectations. The fact that they've scrapped the project so far and are starting from scratch with Retro holding the reigns again bodes well, IMO.

giphy.gif

#869 wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube

wwwwwwwwwhats up youtube
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:28 AM

I'm hoping that BOTW and Odyssey are signs of what's to come. FE14 and Pokemon S/M were literally the worst titles of their respective franchises, by a long shot, but I'm hoping that the bar is going to be raised with both games coming to the Switch. So far every game for the Switch has exceeded expectations, to the point where I've even heard friends who work in the video game industry say that BOTW might be the greatest game ever made. Plus Ultimate being the game that finally pulled together the Smash community as one (Melee can die in peace FINALLY), Odyssey being widely regarded as the new best 3d platformer, Let's Go receiving surprisingly positive feedback, and games like Mario Tennis Aces and Kirby Star Allies surpassing their own expectations as well, I'm still HOPEFUL that moving these titles to the Switch will be the change they need in order to avoid the catastrophes that occurred at the end of the 3DS' lifespan. Because if Fire Emblem tries to tell me to fuck my anime sister again I'm done with the whole series, that shit was garbage.

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#870 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:54 PM

It seems like a "return to form" for Nintendo is what's paying off for them. BoTW is literally the modern equivalent of the original game on the NES. Total freedom to explore and go wherever you want, no intrusive plot, tons of secrets and things to find.

Mario Odyssey is essentially Mario 64 refined to perfection. It did everything right.

Let's Go is a very very basic Pokemon game, it's Generation 1 again, with no bells or whistles, and even some dumbed down mechanics to draw in the casuals who play Pokemon GO.

I would absoutely love to see Fire Emblem return to the style of FE6-10 again. The run of releases for the GBA/Gamecube/Wii are what made me fall in love with the series. Awakening set this very weeb-y precident, and I think because of its success, Nintendo felt like they had to continually pander to that audience. I'd like the game to go back to being about the strategy gameplay first, and the fanfic-fuel character interactions second.

The Radiant Saga had support conversations that were worthwhile. Literal story/plot elements, and history from characters that you couldn't know otherwise, were inside of some of the most obscure support convos. It wasn't a blurb about this one-dimensional character's singular trait, it was a real interaction that was unique for every pair.

And I know FE hasn't always had spectacular writing, but it definitely was never as trite as it has been recently. I think because you're given the option to pair up every character in the game, they don't have the resources to pour into making the interactions significant or interesting.

giphy.gif

#871 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

Man, So I've really, REALLY, been hitting the grind stone in OverWatch this season... And I'm REALLY feeling my old drive billow and roar from way back in my glory Halo 2-Halo 3 days. I finally climbed out of Gold and into Plat, and I currently sit at 2604. (Bronze is anything under 1499, 1500-1999 is Silver, 2000 to 2499 is Gold, 2500 - 2999 is plat, 3000 - 3499 is Diamond, and so forth). I had been consistently placing in Gold and staying there, for various reasons, none being my lack of mechanical skill. Though this season I placed in Silver and I was like No, Never again. My group of friends I play with routinely on Fri is usually high silver low Gold, but something seemed to click in seemingly all of us. 3 of us are now Plat, 1 is just barely outside of it, and the other is nearly Gold (His name in our group chat is #ForeverSilver since he's only been gold once). But I don't want to stop at plat. I have 20 days to finish my climb and reach my goal of Diamond, and one thing that's really driving me is a few of my friends saying, I'll never make it. "I'll agree you're definitely a plat player, but you're not diamond, you're not THAT good." Though the other gave better reasoning because Diamond is when the "META" really kicks in and most all players use it/conform to it, etc. But here I am, with that Drive, burning in me, and I look back at my glory days of Halo 2 where I got matchmade with Ogre Twins, the GAME SEARCH ENGINE, said, put this person against THE BEST DUO IN THE GAME! My roommate and I back then were DAMN good, but we didn't know/think we were that good, but Bungie's Match Making System thought we were, and eventually we actually were.

Moral of the story is, I have this new found burning desire to climb to Plat in OverWatch, mostly because that's where I feel I really belong as a player, but also now to show my friends to never doubt my skill in "shooters." Currently My Reaper play is ranked within the top 500 Reapers, and my Ashe is climbing to a similar rank around 600 so far. Unfortunately neither of those is really "Meta" but we'll see what I can do and where I end up in 20 days. 

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users