18 replies to this topic

#1 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:36 AM

y'all, i'm probably buying a PS4 some time this week (or in the not-so-distant future) and I was wondering what games I should look into? This is my first new console in nearly a decade, so preferably something I can jump into quickly.

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#2 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

I'd recommend getting a pro if you aren't planning on it already. 4k may be unnecessary, but god damn Horizon looks good in 4k on a good TV.

10/10 shit that has come out in the last ~month (!):

Persona 5

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Nier: Automata

Older shit that's p good:

Uncharted 4 (and the Uncharted 1-3 remaster collection if you haven't already played them)

The Last Of Us remastered if you haven't already played

Final Fantasy XV (it's a good fucking game, fuck the haters)

Witcher 3

Metal Gear Solid V

Ratchet and Clank

Tales of Berseria (probably only if you've played and enjoyed some of the Tales games in the past, though)

Infamous: Second Son (not the most amazing experience ever, but the particle effects are very pretty and it's fun for a dozen or so hours)

Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 if you're into masochism

#3 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber
  • bearsbearsbearsbearsbears

• Uber
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

^ Dave covered basically everything you could want on PS4 in terms of full-price AAA games.

The Uncharted games are an absolute must if you haven't had a chance to play through them yet.

Bloodborne is also amazing, but it's not for everyone. Just for the record, I hate the Dark Souls series, but Bloodborne was different in all the right ways for me, and I genuinely love it.

Also, Street Fighter V maybe?

The PS4 is also the best indie game platform you'll ever buy, so if that's your kind of thing then I have some suggestions. A lot of these are a few years old now, but if you haven't played any of them yet, then now is a great time to catch up, because most of them are less than $15, and aren't huge time commitments:

Hyper Light Drifter

Transistor (I can't recommend it enough)

10 Second Ninja (basically Super Meat Boy)

Shovel Knight

Guacamelee

Hotline Miami 1&2

giphy.gif

#4 Xyan

Xyan
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

I also recently got a ps4, at the sacrifice of my bank account well being. im now starting september in persona 5, yet to start horizon zero dawn, got uncharted  bundle game for a rainy day, and nier is on my pc not ps4. will be getting last of us, FFXV, and nioh soon enough.

also, if you grew up with digimon world 1 for ps1, look into considering Digimon world next order, it hits all the nostalgia goals.

jHfsg7C.gif

#5 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

Overwatch. 

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#6 Catsuma

Catsuma
    Veteran
  • Earl of IsCat

• Veterans
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

Fallout 4

XCOM 2

Persona I'd recommend just due to how much I liked 4 for the short time i got to play it.

Catman is officially cool now. Get wit it.
God damnit

2Aztz.gifpyH7x.gifzrnDd.gifhXB6E.gifUXxwN.gif

:aso:

"I am Catman! The gods fear my name!"

Spoiler

#7 Xyan

Xyan
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:28 PM

Fallout 4

XCOM 2

Persona I'd recommend just due to how much I liked 4 for the short time i got to play it.

*looks at persona 5 total playtime so far being 90 hours*

I'm in the "mid-game" plot-wise, granted 3 lvls above the network average, but damn its so much content i cant imagine how short your playtime of 4 must have been for you.

jHfsg7C.gif

#8 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:24 AM

Mmm, as much as I'm loving P5, there's no way in hell I'm ever going to finish it at my current rate of 1-2hrs a day (if I'm lucky). It's honestly got a little too much content (even disregarding the obvious filler content).

#9 Dave

Dave
    Webmaster
    Administrator
  • OH GOD

• Webmaster
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

so did u get the ps4 or what pls update

#10 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:21 AM

not yet. tldr waiting on my money
trying to sell yugioh cards to afford it, but with what i have left (just sold a shit ton of stuff the day i made this post, but had to pay bills) i'm better off trying to find individual buyer(s), instead of selling to a card shop. would probably get about $150 for everything i have left if i sold to a shop. might be able to get over $300 if i can find somebody willing to give me that kind of money. it's about $450 worth of cards but a lot of those cards are ones that you can't easily find a buyer for, so i'm trying to find somebody who will drop $350 on everything so i can just be done with it.

#11 Catsuma

Catsuma
    Veteran
  • Earl of IsCat

• Veterans
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

*looks at persona 5 total playtime so far being 90 hours*

I'm in the "mid-game" plot-wise, granted 3 lvls above the network average, but damn its so much content i cant imagine how short your playtime of 4 must have been for you.

My levels were like in the mid thirties when my PS3 decided to quit on me </3

Catman is officially cool now. Get wit it.
God damnit

2Aztz.gifpyH7x.gifzrnDd.gifhXB6E.gifUXxwN.gif

:aso:

"I am Catman! The gods fear my name!"

Spoiler

#12 Naya

Naya
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:57 PM

I recommend Disgaea 5. I haven't played it, but I'm playing 4 a lot lately and it's great.

#13 M.C MyZtery

M.C MyZtery
    Uber
  • hazel bubble chu~

• Uber
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:18 AM

Viva pnianta :wub:

Howd the yugi card selling go? i have a thick folder i could sell but its from pre 5D era so i dunno if people are interested

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Spoiler

Posted Image
Credit for Flareon siggy goes to November

#14 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

Still been looking for a buyer lol
probably gonna crack and sell to a shop. it's just been kind of on the backburner lately, with school and work, the small amount of free time that i do have almost never overlaps with the store hours of any of the local card shops. worst case, i sell them next week since i'll be on summer break.

old cards are all over the place with value. like obv there are the super expensive money cards, like DDS blue eyes which can sell for over $600 if it's in mint condition, but that's more getting into the market of high end collectibles, rather than the tcg secondary market.
but like, old cards are all either way overpowered or complete trash, so really good really old really rare cards (like Raigeki) that have managed to not be banned are all going to net you good money. like pretty much any version of raigeki is gonna land you in the $20-30 range, the exceptions being some that are only available in things like tournament packs.
worth looking into for sure.

#15 Yosh

Yosh
    Administrator
  • Tramontate, stelle!

• Administrators
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

ygo doesnt seem to be among the most popular card games lately. i wouldnt expect a big market.

Yosh on comparing Final Fantasy characters: "Balthier would kill Tidus with a ship. WHILE smuggling 20 kilos of uncut

cocaine from Bolivia and fucking Fran on the starboard deck."

NITRO/DURF/THUNK/LUNE/SEH/MIDIAN/DRSEXSTIX/JARLAXLE/KALEIDO/YOSHIQUACK/OMEGABLASTER/BYOXXYL

MATSUO/SMILEYTHEJOKER/MOONSTRUCKTIMBERWOLF/PETUH/GRANDSAGE/BONERSTORM/DATH/NOVEMBER

#16 M.C MyZtery

M.C MyZtery
    Uber
  • hazel bubble chu~

• Uber
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

They messed up the market for sure. I have a card that was worth 100something bucks and now it's like 87 cents.
Spoiler

Posted Image

#17 Peppy Hare-nest

Peppy Hare-nest
    Veteran
  • Autopromotion

• Veterans
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

Yakuza 0

Tales of Berseria

Gravity Rush Remastered (and its sequel which I have yet to play)

sig.gif

#18 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:22 AM

ygo doesnt seem to be among the most popular card games lately. i wouldnt expect a big market.
It... is. The "high end" market of Yugioh (cards that are high price that will always be high price) is much smaller in Yugioh but the secondary market (cards whose value is determined by metagame relevance and ease of obtaining) holds up. It is a bit less predictable in how it will fluctuate though, since there are no "blocks" or formats based on set releases, but rather a banlist that updates arbitrarily.
As for popularity, it keeps up with Magic. The card game scene out here seems to be more Yugioh than Magic, with Pokemon trailing behind in third and all the other card games struggling to stay afloat.

They messed up the market for sure. I have a card that was worth 100something bucks and now it's like 87 cents.
Yeah, market fluctuation is real. Last time I sold a large batch of cards, I was supposed to sell them on a Monday, and I had 3 copies of a card that was selling for $90 each. I ended up not being able to sell until Wednesday of that week, and on Tuesday there were rumors that the card was getting reprinted, so by the time I sold everything on Wednesday, that card had dropped from $90 to $40. I basically lost $150 out of nowhere. Sucks.
Hoping I can get around to selling everything I have left soon. The market is fluctuating a lot rn because a new set was just released, which means big changes to everything. And it's the last set before this game dies so it's all sorts of clusterfucks right now. But the recent market fluctuations have hurt me more than they've helped me - SOME of my high value cards have gone up in value (TLDR they released certain cards for the best deck in the meta in other sets, nobody cared because the cards were useless back then, this new set gives those cards the support they needed to be a good deck, so nobody has those cards, but I do because I knew it was gonna happen and scooped them up when they were about a tenth of their current price) so like a card I bought for $2 jumped up to $20, but also some cards I have that were recently $40 have recently dropped to $30 because they aren't as relevant anymore. So, I'm taking bigger hits on the cards that keep going down than I'm gaining from the cards going up.

#19 M.C MyZtery

M.C MyZtery
    Uber
  • hazel bubble chu~

• Uber
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:10 AM

oh! i may need to check my cards again in that case, last time i did was like 1.5 years ago.

Spoiler

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 14 user(s)