73 replies to this topic

#61 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber
  • bearsbearsbearsbearsbears

• Uber
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:45 PM

Completed my first playthrough (Golden Deer) and now approaching Time Skip on my second (Blue Lions).

This game is my favourite FE game now, behind only the Tellius games.

The only real criticisms I have are:

Monastery phase is too bloated and time-consuming pre-timeskip. There's so many quests of just running around talking to people without even rewarding you with cool dialogue or lore/plot, and that's not fun. Luckily, post-timeskip, quests become less frequent and are much shorter, letting you just get on with doing all of the things you actually want to do.

I wish they had leaned a little harder into being like Persona, giving you one or two options a day and maybe a fight phase every weekend or something, just to help with pacing. Personally, I find it strange spending like an hour doing monastery stuff and then like 20 minutes on a story map. Seems a little lopsided is all.

It's a little short. 22 chapters is really short for a console game. PoR had 30 chapters, RD had 38. And I know there are paralogues and side missions but those are all really short. I would have liked just a little more plot. And I know that replayability is the name of the game here and you're expected to play through the game 4 times which makes it longer than any other entry technically, the individual paths could still use some length I think.

Gameplay is essentially perfect. I don't think eliminating the weapon/magic triangle was necessary, but it doesn't dampen the experience. Class system is implemented really well, it's great to have the freedom to do what you want, but there's still restrictions in a sense because you need to play off individual unit's strengths.

Supports are great, characters aren't so one-note (with a couple exceptions) and there's motivation to hear everyone's story, there's a surprising amount of background info to glean about each character.

Plot is decent, I mean it's a generic Fire Emblem story, but it's got a couple decent twists and turns that do actually catch you off guard a little.

Overall, love it. So glad I listened to everyone here telling me it was good. If they can stay the course like this, Fire Emblem will continue in a beautiful direction.

giphy.gif

#62 Naya

Naya
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:06 AM

I've just gotten to chapter 19. I'm about 65 hours in and haven't beaten it yet. Probably cause I'm on Hard which has made battles take longer and I've been doing teaching and everything manually, not really speeding through anything my first playthrough. It's either that, or I just suck & it takes me a while to go through every battle stage lol.

#63 Xyan

Xyan
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:10 PM

i'm only to time-skip 2/28 still, haven't been able to play in several days. i'm over 60 hours, probably near 80 but a portion of that is idle time. I've been savoring every moment I can and not moving fast, mainly because I don't get nearly as much time to play games as I used to thanks to random-ish work schedule, but also because I really enjoy the monastery play.

took me several hours to work up the courage to do this battle, then I ran out of time that day to finish it. 

jHfsg7C.gif

#64 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 01:57 AM

This is definitely a game to take your time with and savor. IIRC my first playthrough was about 80 hours, and I went with the shortest route (only 18 chapters, as opposed to the 22 of any of the other routes). It's nice to finally enjoy a Fire Emblem game again, instead of rushing through and skipping all the cutscenes like I usually do when replaying older ones. I missed this.

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#65 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:32 PM

Overall, love it. So glad I listened to everyone here telling me it was good. If they can stay the course like this, Fire Emblem will continue in a beautiful direction.

Glad you gave it a chance, and I too am glad it's such a great game.

Im on 1/18 or so I think, idk my hours currently. Ive been moving around playing other games here and there and with Iceborne dropping this weekend FE is on the back burner soon so I need to invest my time into FE3H more to try and at least finish one route.
Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Wolff should've been reclassed to squirrel.

Posted Image

#66 Naya

Naya
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:17 PM

So I beat the game finally. I lowered it to Normal for the last 2 battles though. On Hard it got too difficult that second to last battle and I couldn't grind at the beginning of the month anymore than I already had since there aren't any non game time consuming auxiliary battles in Hard. I think I'm just gonna relax on the Normal difficulty for my new game plus runs.

I really loved the game, the soundtrack is fantastic and it was fun to play. Married Dimitri, he's the best FE husband option. His story from the perspective of the Blue Lions reminds me a smidge of Yuri's in the original Shadow Hearts. If you've played both games you might know what I mean, or maybe not. Speaking of perspectives, so between the Blue Lions and Black Eagles, is Byleth the moral compass no matter which side you're on? So where the Black Eagles went with their story will change when I'm on their side? And the Blue Lions won't do the same things they did without Byleth?

#67 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:39 PM

This is definitely a game to take your time with and savor. IIRC my first playthrough was about 80 hours, and I went with the shortest route (only 18 chapters, as opposed to the 22 of any of the other routes). It's nice to finally enjoy a Fire Emblem game again, instead of rushing through and skipping all the cutscenes like I usually do when replaying older ones. I missed this.

My first run was about 70 hours I think, I took my time with it up until the last few chapters, because all my units were overleveled/at their maximum proficiencies, and I had completed every support that I actually cared about. Once I got to like chapter 19, I knew the endgame was close and I was just really invested in seeing the story through to the end so I auto-instructed everything and seminar/rested every week in between.

Currently on chapter 10 on my Blue Lions route, going out of my way to recruit everyone and try and get most, if not all, of the supports filled out in one playthrough. The only students left to recruit are Bernadetta (who I've got a B support with, and hopefully will get A on my next explore day) and Ferdinand, who's support apparently gets locked at C, so I'm grinding heavy armour lessons to try and get him before the timeskip.

I've turned off battle animations for this playthrough to help it move along a little quicker, but I'm still playing out every conversation because I'm really enjoying the slow reveal of Dimitri's backstory.

Not sure who I'll marry on this playthrough. Chose Claude because I was female Byleth on GD route. I chose male for BL, and I'm kind of leaning towards Mercie or Annette. Poor Mercie gets gutted in the timeskip though, while Annette goes from kind of odd looking to absolutely adorable. We'll see how it plays out.

giphy.gif

#68 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:50 PM

Yeah, I had to turn off battle animations this playthrough as well lol

Currently about halfway through Part 2 of GD. I think I burnt myself out playing so much so fast, so I'm taking a little break, but I've also finally unlocked all male classes for Byleth, and I just have a couple to master next time I battle on a Saturday. Auto instructing from here on out and just speeding through chapters to get to the cutscenes. I'm too overleveled for anything to be remotely challenging at this point probably. Maybe. I thought that about my first playthrough but the final chapter was a lot harder than I expected, so maybe I'll still have to work for it on this playthrough as well. Gonna do BL next and then finish off with the non-secret path of BE.

In the same boat on not knowing who to marry this playthrough. I knew who I was gonna marry in my first playthrough from the start (no spoilers, just lesbians) but playing as male Byleth... Eh. Idk. I might choose that "?????" option, I ~THINK~ I know what that option entails but I'm not 100% sure so I might as well find out. Next playthrough I'm definitely gonna marry Dimitri. 

#69 Naya

Naya
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:53 AM

Dimitri is so great <3 But I'm also super biased and after only one playthrough believe he's my fave. Plus the fact that the general happenings of his story remind me of another awesome character in a different game, so yeah.

#70 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

In the same boat on not knowing who to marry this playthrough. I knew who I was gonna marry in my first playthrough from the start (no spoilers, just lesbians) but playing as male Byleth... Eh. Idk. I might choose that "?????" option, I ~THINK~ I know what that option entails but I'm not 100% sure so I might as well find out. Next playthrough I'm definitely gonna marry Dimitri. 

I'm regretting not playing female again honestly, the female options are pretty bland. I'd probably choose Dimitri if I was female too. Did the Goddess Tower event with Annette and she was pretty cute. Probably gonna stay on that track.

Dimitri is so great <3 But I'm also super biased and after only one playthrough believe he's my fave. Plus the fact that the general happenings of his story remind me of another awesome character in a different game, so yeah.

Dimitri is pleasantly deep for an FE protagonist.

giphy.gif

#71 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:16 PM

Yeah all the girls in this game are pretty boring, marrying one sounds like a total snoozefest.
Spoiler

I'm definitely gonna be playing female Byleth from here on out. I feel like it just makes way more sense.

#72 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

Golden Deer feels so biased towards a Female Byleth, it really emphasizes Claude being flirtatious and building a strong relationship with Byleth outside of supports, and marrying him at the end of that route literally seems like a linear plot point. It just makes sense.

giphy.gif

#73 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity

• Deity
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:07 PM

Yeah if they won't let me do gay shit with Claude at the end of GD then playing through as a male shouldn't be an option. Just throwing that out there.

Anyways, haven't touched the game since my last post lol. Taking a little break before I plow through the rest of the story. Kinda burnt myself out in the beginning there, playing too much too fast.

#74 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber

• Uber
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:07 PM

Currently chapter 16 BL route, and I'm in full no-life mode with the game. It's gotten to the point where I'm shirking my other responsibilities to play it instead, so I'm gonna force myself to take a break.

I actually have a really busy weekend coming up running a three day community-wide event, so it's well timed to force me to get my head out of the game.

Living alone with almost no friends in the area makes it way too easy to just become a recluse and play games every spare second I have.

giphy.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fire, Emblem, Three, Houses, Switch, Nintendo, Console, Game, Hype

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 15 user(s)