• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Naya

Naya
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:55 PM

Thought I should inform you all, in case any of you have a drifting joy-con issue like I and numerous other Switch owners do, that Nintendo of America is freely fixing joy-cons. They have a new form to fill out for it on their support page. I filled it out and was sent a prepaid UPS shipping label less than 24 hours later. No clue yet if any Canadians have tried, but only the North American branch is doing this since just last week an American law firm filed a lawsuit against Nintendo over the drifting joy-cons issue. Also they're giving refunds if you paid at any point to have an expired warranty joy-con repaired, you just have to have some kind of proof you paid them and contact them about it.

#2 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:16 PM

Siiiiiiiick. Good to know, thank you.

Also, seems pretty non-surprising, since IIRC there was a class action lawsuit being filed against them for all the joycons with drift?? lol

EDIT: https://gonintendo.c...awsuit-investig

lol

EDIT2: https://en-americas-...3/cp/677/mq/740

^link for support if anyone else needs it

defo gonna get my black joycons fixed, but not really an issue since i bought yellow ones recently and prefer those anyways

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#3 Naya

Naya
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:59 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure the lawsuit is what prompted them to do this because an American firm filed the lawsuit and a week later only the American branch is repairing out of warranty joy-cons for free. Plus that form was never on their site before, you had to call them for repairs.

I'm gonna send my grey right joy-con in. Always had an off and on disconnecting issue then after updating them when it was really bad one day, it starts drifting off and on within a day. That joy-con was just over a year old and I had no drifting issues with it beforehand. My left one still works fine but I bought the Splatoon pair as a replacement, cause back in May getting my joy-con repaired seemed like too much of a pain and likely would've cost money.

#4 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:09 PM

It's not entirely a "drift" issue, it's a desyncing issue as well, they controllers design is flawed with the IR sender on the control at the base, where you would put it on a lap, or pillow or what leg or what have to play comfortably... then boom, you lost sync and the last direction you were pressing is now "drifting" until you resync, which might be instantly if you're moving around and into the game as well. 

It's a mixture of the two, yes, they are flawed in multiple ways, and I think a redesign could fix most of the issues, better positioning of the ir reader thing, and just better made/parts in general.

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Wolff should've been reclassed to squirrel.

Posted Image

#5 Naya

Naya
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:13 PM

Supposedly the drifting problem is due to a piece of graphite in the construction that grinds down & gets in the way. And yeah, my right joy-con that now drifts has been off and on disconnecting since it was brand new. But my non disconnecting caused drift is a legitimate drift problem, which I think is really odd to have only started after I updated my joy-cons to improve my desyncing problems.

#6 Krevin

Krevin
    Deity
  • Secretly Jarly this whole time.

• Deity
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:02 AM

I've yet to have a desyncing problem with any of my joycons, which is nice. But I started having a drift on my left joycon when I was using my joycons as bluetooth controllers to play emulated PS2 games on my laptop. Was about an hour into Kingdom Hearts, which made playing through the Deep Jungle nearly impossible, but I stuck through it. The brightside was, the drift was/is straight up, and in a lot of games you end up holding that direction more often than you hold neutral, so it hasn't been too terrible, but I went ahead and got new joycons anyways because it was kinda annoying.

landscape-1525605402-childish-gambino-da

#7 Scuiriot

Scuiriot
    Uber
    Contributor
  • Squirrely Wrath!

• Uber
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:17 PM

I only have the Desync issue, because I have a table between the TV and myself on the couch, and I like to put my feet up and rest the control on my stomach which causes the issues... 

Posted Image
^ <3 Nova.

Wolff should've been reclassed to squirrel.

Posted Image

#8 The Great Red Bear

The Great Red Bear
    Uber
  • bearsbearsbearsbearsbears

• Uber
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:22 PM

I haven't had any issues whatsoever with mine, maybe because mine was purchased so recently? (Dec. 2018)

Good to know just in case, and good on them for providing the fixes.

giphy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 7 user(s)