20 replies to this topic

#1 Y_Q

Y_Q
    Veteran
  • Livin' the dream

• Veterans
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

(Seriously, how the hell does it come to a soccer fan, one that doesn't even like baseball at that, to make this topic?)

So, this topic is about baseball. "America's Pastime". Discuss high school, college, or MLB here.

First discussion:
How does George Steinbrenner's death impact the Yankees, and, on a larger scale, baseball as a whole?

30bct1w.gifYQsigofpwnage.giflatias.gif
Banner made by former FEEF'er Shadow Wolf

#2 Nitro

Nitro
    Uber
  • overmind

• Uber
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

I'm going to cry every time I watch seinfeld. Thats whats gonna happen.

#3 Duce

Duce
  • Still hungry.

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

The sports shows really over blow Steinbrenner's death. Yeah he died, and for him as a person, that's sad. But for him as a baseball figure? I'm fucking ecstatic. Knock off Scott Boras too and I'll be a happy man. Steinbrenner had a humongous part in creating the direct correlation between payroll and win percentage.

There is gonna be a lot of talk about it, but Steinbrenner's death really isn't gonna impact anything.

Other topic of discussion possible, with the bottom of the 9th coming up and the NL up 3-1, are they finally gonna win another All-Star game?
Searching for ADVENTURE.

#4 Y_Q

Y_Q
    Veteran
  • Livin' the dream

• Veterans
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

History says yes.

#5 Duce

Duce
  • Still hungry.

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

Well, All-Star Break is over now. How's everyone's team doing? With the trade deadline about two weeks away, do you think your team is gonna trade for anybody good or worried they are gonna trade away a big name for picks and prospects?

As an O's fan, I am just hoping we avoid a full-fledged fire sale. I know Wigginton is as good as gone considering the teams who are interested in him, but I am hoping we can keep Tejada around for awhile. The only other possible trades I see coming down the line are maybe Patterson or Lugo, and they wouldn't be for much more than very late round pick or a Single-A prospect.The rest of our rooster seems pretty safe considering we have a team that's essentially MADE of prospects at this point.
Searching for ADVENTURE.

#6 Y_Q

Y_Q
    Veteran
  • Livin' the dream

• Veterans
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:57 PM

So, how 'bout Duce's Orioles now?

#7 Duce

Duce
  • Still hungry.

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:26 AM

Posted Image

MWA HA HA HA! UNLIMITED POWER!

In other news, Seattle installed Daren Brown as their interim manager tonight. Seattle's already up by 1 in the first. Any thoughts on whether he'll be able to send the Mariners on a streak of their own?
Searching for ADVENTURE.

#8 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:53 AM

I'm a Phillies fan, naturally, and I'm pretty content with their performance this season, despite that slump for a month or so.

So what's everyone's take on the fuggin' amazing pitching this season?
Posted Image

#9 Duce

Duce
  • Still hungry.

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:36 AM

I love it. So glad to see small-ball spreading back around the league. I also like how the better pitching is bringing the umpires, and baseball rulings in general, under closer examination. With things like the Galarraga and Joyce game, you have to wonder if the League is gonna make any changes during the off-season.
Searching for ADVENTURE.

#10 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:18 AM

The Galarraga game made me rage hard. Sometimes umps seriously make me wanna shove a bat down their throat.

God, it's good to see someone actually into baseball/sports in this place.

I seriously LIVE for it.
Posted Image

#11 Metronome

Metronome
    Deity
  • That's 9ffensive!

• Deity
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

My grandparents watch all the Jays games on a tiny little monitor of an excuse for a television. They get quite worked up. I think the last game I went to though, I flipped out my game boy...
Posted Image

#12 Y_Q

Y_Q
    Veteran
  • Livin' the dream

• Veterans
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

Bud Selig SHOULD implement instant replay, at least for calls that mean something (so baseball doesn't get any slower)... but I doubt that it'll happen until a playoff game gets horribly messed up; it might even take a World Series mishap to get the ball rolling.

This was a topic of contention among some other people I talk with...

Yankees: Good or Evil?

I say good, because I like them. There are only 3 other people in my entire city that I know also like them, so if I could see some Yankee liking, I'd appreciate it.

#13 Duce

Duce
  • Still hungry.

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

Post or Pre Steinbrenner? I respect the franchise they once were bringing up greats like DiMaggio, Gehrig, Berra, Ruth, etc. Now I see them as soulless, money-grubbing, self-centered brats who no longer give two shits about the game.

As far as replay goes, they'd have to think long and hard about how to implement it. Baseball can already be pretty slow and if replays were too easy to enact, games could easily start to drag on for 4 or 5 hours each.
Searching for ADVENTURE.

#14 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:41 AM

The Yankee's BOUGHT the best team in baseball, case closed.

They don't have nearly as much heart as other teams do; not as much spirit. Quite frankly I don't even like watching them play. Oh and C.C. Sebathia is a mouth-breathing giant who I dislike greatly.
Posted Image

#15 Keeneekee

Keeneekee
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

Anyone like the cubs ? :D Even though they are having a horrible season and are like 10 games below a .500 winning %. Anyone ?
Well I still love the cubs. I watch them on the television everyday.

550224_3124332942989_1265342576_n.jpg

Spoiler

#16 Duce

Duce
  • Still hungry.

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

I feel the same way about the Cubs as I do about the Mets: I pity them.

Anyway, contract signings from the draft are over and done with. I'm glad my O's managed to sign Machado, and I'm sure Pirates fans are glad they got Tallion locked in.

All the top picks are signed and Bryce Harper managed to get away with nearly 10 million dollars eventually settling at 9.9 million. Does anyone else find this absolutely absurd? Yeah, I get the hype around this guy, but 10 mil? To put that in perspective, it's more than 25% of the TOTAL TEAM PAYROLL of the Padres. It's close to 30% the total team payroll of the Pirates. His signing salary is also more than the mean salary a Yankee would make.
Searching for ADVENTURE.

#17 Keeneekee

Keeneekee
  • Advanced Member

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

The cubs can be good if they try. they just dont

550224_3124332942989_1265342576_n.jpg

Spoiler

#18 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

So spring training is in full swing, no pun intended.

Domonic Brown for the Phillies broke his hand today, so it's a safe bet to say that Ben Francisco is going to start in his place this season. Brown's been mediocre at best in Clearwater, so I'm not surprised either way.
Posted Image

#19 Duce

Duce
  • Still hungry.

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

I've been pretty happy with spring training so far. As far as the O's go, our pitching that we'll be counting on this year has done very well for itself. I would have liked to see a bit more power and bit less Ks for Reynolds, but hopefully that'll improve during the regular season. The highest note has EASILY been Jake Fucking Fox. 8 HR, 13 RBI, and .333 AVG in just 20 games played. Throw in the +.850 Slugging and I'll be pissed if he doesn't make opening day roster, especially with how Luke Scott has been under performing.

Another item I thought to try if enough people got into it would be a FEEF Fantasy League. Not sure how many of you guys do fantasy, but I'd be willing to commission a league on Yahoo or something if there was significant interest.
Searching for ADVENTURE.

#20 Frick

Frick
    Veteran
  • NEATO, GANG

• Veterans
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:11 AM

On.

fucking.

board.

edit: also, lolorioles
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 0 user(s)